IGNORED

Flying time

artig

The weather yesterday was perfect for a short flight in an open biplane. At our local airport there is a group called Classic Flyers who restore, maintain, and operate classic (old) aircraft. One of these is a Grumman Ag-Cat, converted from agricultural use, and now able to fly with two passengers.

It took some time to co-ordinate a suitable time with a friend who was willing to go for a flight with me. But yesterday it happened. The flight was about half an hour, and the pilot was happy to take us over and around our house (which is visible from the airport) before heading back over the city to the airport.

Takeoff and landing was on a grass runway. There was very little turbulence, despite flying over hilly areas on a warm day.

With an open cockpit and cramped passenger compartment, and with the wind rushing past at high speed, it was very difficult to take photos during the flight that didn't turn out to be blurry. But I did manage to get a few that are reasonably sharp. Some of these can be seen here.

A very enjoyable experience, that I would be happy to repeat any time the weather conditions are suitable.

The attached photo shows my friend, with the plane after the flight, and the pilot with his back to the camera.

5342.jpg.0c8c7e038045ac67581243c78c4801ef.jpg

Motorcyclists make better pilots. Hopefully you got the bug to get your license. Flying is naturally intoxicating, great therapy for clearing the cobwebs and feeling refreshed.

russell_bynum
The weather yesterday was perfect for a short flight in an open biplane. At our local airport there is a group called Classic Flyers who restore, maintain, and operate classic (old) aircraft. One of these is a Grumman Ag-Cat, converted from agricultural use, and now able to fly with two passengers.

It took some time to co-ordinate a suitable time with a friend who was willing to go for a flight with me. But yesterday it happened. The flight was about half an hour, and the pilot was happy to take us over and around our house (which is visible from the airport) before heading back over the city to the airport.

Takeoff and landing was on a grass runway. There was very little turbulence, despite flying over hilly areas on a warm day.

With an open cockpit and cramped passenger compartment, and with the wind rushing past at high speed, it was very difficult to take photos during the flight that didn't turn out to be blurry. But I did manage to get a few that are reasonably sharp. Some of these can be seen here.

A very enjoyable experience, that I would be happy to repeat any time the weather conditions are suitable.

The attached photo shows my friend, with the plane after the flight, and the pilot with his back to the camera.

Anything with a big radial engine is OK in my book.

It's probably too late in life to get a flying license. And having a chromatic vision deficiency (sounds better than colourblind) probably rules it out, anyway. Fortunately motorcycling gives me all the intoxication and therapy I need.

Archived