IGNORED

Seeking engine guard advise

ReCycled

Seems like protecting the two major assets is a good idea. After a bit of cyber shopping, the Wunderlich unit looks like a good choice; http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8160735-736.html

Can anyone offer feedback? Does it restrict servicing or lean angle? How does it compare to the Touratech?

Or do the smaller units offer nearly as much protection?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8161533.html

From a purely functional perspective, the more pricey 1st ones would be better because the bike would not fall over as far and be easier to right.

The cylinder guards still allow cylinder impact with the ground. It would be just moving the point of impact a bit.

CruisinCruzan

I've had both the Wunderlich and the Touratech on my '06 RT.I prefer the Touratech because they are stainless steel so no plating or paint to chip. The most useful benefit for me was that the Touratech has a longer straight section of tubing making it more useful to position highway pegs.

Thanks for the tips so far.

I sure like the design and Stainless finish on the Touratech.

I like the $100+ savings on the Wunderlich :-)

I like the simple design on the Z-tech also. I'm concerned about the largely two-point mounting system though. How much more protection is offered by the larger, triangulated mounts offered by the others?

The other curveball that I forgot to mention is the bike already has ELF highway pegs; http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/saharax.shtml They don't look like they would clear the Touratch, not sure abot the others. Any experience there?

malcolmblalock

I have an 05 RT with the Touratech guards. Great protection; stainless; sturdy. I really like them. However, they have to be at least loosened if not removed to do valve maintenance, and the ELF pegs won't work with them.

I have an 09 RT with the Wonderlich guards on it. They're much less sturdy and are painted rather than stainless. I've read one thread where the guard caused a major break in the engine crankcase where they mount on the bottom, so that has me a bit concerned over motor protection. On the positive side, valve maintenance is a piece of cake.

Hard to know what's best. I'm thinking I may go for the z-tech guards next.

Seems like protecting the two major assets is a good idea. After a bit of cyber shopping, the Wunderlich unit looks like a good choice; http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8160735-736.html

Can anyone offer feedback? Does it restrict servicing or lean angle? How does it compare to the Touratech?

Or do the smaller units offer nearly as much protection?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8161533.html

The Wunderlich guards do not restrict lean angle - your pegs will scrape before the bars will contact. More importantly, the guards will contact before the cylinder heads do. I used to grind my pegs pretty thoroughly, and I've taken metal off the guards. Another couple mm of lean would take metal off the heads.

I may be a little slow but I'm getting there...

It looks like the Touratech is the nicest unit but paying more to lose my ELF pegs and make servicing harder just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm dissapointed to hear the Wunderlich is noticably less sturdy and perhaps problematic.

The Z-tech is looking better all the time. Does it interfere with servicing?

Could you guys with the Z-tech's and Wunderlich's take a look at this photo and see if you imagine any clearance issues?

th_ELFpeg001.jpg

FYI the Z-techs do not interfere at all with removal of the valve covers. Once they're on, they don't need to come off. No issues!

r1200rt%20008.jpg

-MKL

FYI the Z-techs do not interfere at all with removal of the valve covers.

I just read the article you'd written(for MCN?). It was the final push on my decision.

Looks like we have a winner, Z-technik it is!

Thank you to everyone, I appreciate all of your input.

Just a thought. Would the valve cover guards (as opposed to full engine and/or head protection) impede heat dissipation?

It gets darn hot in Houston in the summer. As I looked at the pictures of the aluminum Touratech guard, I couldn't help but think about sitting in slow traffic on an August day where the temp can easily reach over 100 degrees near the pavement.

ReCycled,

I Have the Ztechnik guards and it is actually a 3 point mounting. You do not have to remove them for svc. Very sturdy and the best looking IMHO

MotoGP

I would really like to get the Z-technik guards. I have a 2005 ST. Ztechnik says these only work on GS and RT. by chance does anyone have these on a ST. Or maybe someone who has them on a RT or GS has someone close by who has a ST and could see if they can fit?

Follow up:

I contacted a major BMW on the east coast as they were listed on ZTechnik's site. The guards were in stock and they were offering free shipping for the holidays, less than 48 hours and they were at my door.

Installation was easy and they seem reasonably sturdy though I have no plans to test them. There is plenty clearance for my elf pegs. They should not interfere with service. And they may some day make the difference of riding home after a minor unpleasant incident, just the peace of mind I was looking for.

ps: Randy, The installation manual is written for RT, R, ST, and GS

JOHNNYWISHBONE

i don't have a bmw. mine's here in january. being really short, and refusing to lower the bike and compromise geometry, i know i'll drop the bike. i ordered the high dollar touratech crash bar assembly.

riding in the sticks on an r100/7, a lady turned into me. the bars on the bike were, i think, krauser. i gutted the right side of her honda station wagon. she used me for a hood ornament for 150 feet. i was face to face with her thru the windshield screaming "stop the car". she almost strained me thru a chain link fence. we agreed to take care of our own repairs. i don't think she had license or insurance. damage to my bike, almost zero.

two weeks later, got a call from her boyfriend. wanted $3800.00 to fix her car. i said no way. he told me how big and strong and smart he was. i congratulated him, then called my insurance company. my problem disappeared.

the crash bars saved both my left leg and the bike. jmho, jp

I think I would have ripped her heart out through the windshield. You should have put it through insurance to begin with. In fact, called police too to file a report. If someone doesn't have a license or insurance, NMP.

i don't have a bmw. mine's here in january. being really short, and refusing to lower the bike and compromise geometry, i know i'll drop the bike. i ordered the high dollar touratech crash bar assembly.

riding in the sticks on an r100/7, a lady turned into me. the bars on the bike were, i think, krauser. i gutted the right side of her honda station wagon. she used me for a hood ornament for 150 feet. i was face to face with her thru the windshield screaming "stop the car". she almost strained me thru a chain link fence. we agreed to take care of our own repairs. i don't think she had license or insurance. damage to my bike, almost zero.

two weeks later, got a call from her boyfriend. wanted $3800.00 to fix her car. i said no way. he told me how big and strong and smart he was. i congratulated him, then called my insurance company. my problem disappeared.

the crash bars saved both my left leg and the bike. jmho, jp

I have the Ztechnik bars and had a low speed spill thanks to a storm sewer I didn't see. The bars held up very well with only a minor scratch, much better than my pride and my saddle bag. Does anyone know if Wunderlich has released their bag guards?

They have been released in Germany but, as far as I can tell, not here yet. Seems like a good product.... $300 is better than a new side case and about the same as painting one!

Archived