IGNORED

West Coast Winter Riding?

Twisties

Hi,

I'm interested in what parts of the west coast (of the USA and Canada) are:

1. Generally reliable winter riding, with the exception of a day or two here and there. No cage really necessary.

2. Watch the weather, you could get a week of storm, or a week that's nice. For locals it's still riding season, but if you live here you will still need a cage, and if you visit to ride in the winter, it will be hit or miss.

3. You might get a day in now again, but it's generally not riding season.

4. Forget about it! Just get a trickle charger and some Stabil.

What I want to do is sort of map this out. I'll try to post the results back every so often. So looking for as much info as possible.

Here in SLC we fall into the 3rd category, but it is important to note that the day we get now and again is down here in the valley. All our fun riding and twisties are closed from about mid-November to the end of March. So, please also comment on the recreational riding opportunity as well as merely the ability to get the bike out of the garage.

TIA!

Jan, I think all of the desert southwest (AZ and Cal)fit in the 1st category, including north to DV. Can be cold in the mornings (20s)but nice winter riding otherwise.

Sacramento area is cat 1.

Into the Sierra Mountain range will be cat 2 in some areas and cat 3 depending on the weather systems and elevations.

Puget Sound would be a 1/2. Some years only 1 or 2 days get one off the bike, other years it can be a couple of weeks. The fun rides up in the Cascades will be dicey with sand and or ice on the roads.

Jan, I think all of the desert southwest (AZ and Cal)fit in the 1st category, including north to DV. Can be cold in the mornings (20s)but nice winter riding otherwise.

Well, yes, keyword "desert." How about Mt. Lemmon, the Mogollon Rim (US-191), and other high places? Would you say that there is an elevation cutoff applicable to AZ/NM that you could say below this it's 1, between this and that it's 2, and above this it's 3/4?

I'm thinking the 1 stuff ends about 5000'. Does that sound about right? I think in UT it's maybe about 3000'. In other words St George, Zion (Springdale side), and Kanab are about it.

Into the Sierra Mountain range will be cat 2 in some areas and cat 3 depending on the weather systems and elevations.

So is CA-49 south of I-80 1 or 2? Is that kind of the dividing line all the way along the Sierras?

The coast is generally better than the interior central Ca valleys during the winter. Thick tule fog (aka radiation fog) sometimes hangs around the valley for weeks in the winter. Low vis and cold temps (35-40F) all day long. Coast and Sierra Nevada Mtn's above 2500' stay clear and sunny when valley is fogged in.

:wave: from SoCal.

You already know the score :grin:

Hi Eric,

Wasn't sure if the Santa Monicas are reliably open, or spotty. I know the LA basin and coast in that area are typically good. Also wondering about those mountains south of Anza Borrego... Mt Laguna I think (S-1). Was marginal the day we rode it with Jamie.

I have the idea that the mountains between I-5 and Santa Barbara are typically open (Los Padres NF), and that the Angles Crest (CA-2, Angles NF) area is open to about I-15, but that the San Bernardino NF (Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead) is not. I think the San Jacinto (above Palm Springs) would be open.

I am totally clueless regards northern CA and Oregon, Washington beyond what Wade has said.

Thanks All!

So is CA-49 south of I-80 1 or 2? Is that kind of the dividing line all the way along the Sierras?

For the most part Hwy 49 is a 1, but we have seen some occasioal low snows that would affect the Hwy 49 road, but they are very rare and the snow doesnt last when it happens. For the most part you can ride Hwy 49 year round. In the winter the thigs I look out for more on Hwy 49 and surrounding roads are ice if its very cold out (like the deep freeze we just had) and the areas where water continously runs across the roads making them pretty slick. These dont stop me form riding there, but I will slow it down and keep my eye out. Although 49 is often full of traffic, espcially on weekends and the better roads are the less common areas. In the winter I move my riding more to the areas around Lake Berryessa and I do the higher elevation stuff in spring, summer and fall.

Might want to scratch the Grand Canyon area for winter riding. I noted that the south rim is only 3 degrees above zero there this morning and it's not even real winter. Quite a cold spell we're having.

Last winter I did 2 rides to Mt Palomar and all was good but like has been said watch for water running across the road at higher elev.

I also did 2 runs up hwy 33 and into Frazier Park which were very nice but the sandy/wet roads will slow you down some. These roads are best done after several days of no precipitation.

I toured AZ in early Mar and stayed mostly south of Flagstaff. I was bummed that 191 was closed but 180 provided a decent detour. Riding thru Alpine was a real treat as snow was every where. Just beautiful.

The San Diego area mountains are typically good most of the winter, although we do have the occasional storm which can last for a few days. Mt. Laguna gets some snow, and some of the lower mountain areas can as well, but it never lasts more than a few days after the storm.

Looking for input from NorCal
The entire Sacramento/San Joaquin valley and all the coastal mountains south of the Trinity Alps are available all winter, the valley can be foggy but isn't that interesting anyway. The Trinity Alps do get snow and I think some of the roads (CA36, CA3, ?) are closed during storms but I don't think they close all winter. There's enough fun winter riding in the coastal ranges to keep you busy for an entire retirement.

The downside of course is that it is hideously expensive and crowded.

The downside of course is that it is hideously expensive and crowded.

....compared to Torrey Utah, no doubt...but can ya get the good beer there mate...? :grin:

hi Bob :wave:

MB>

NorCal Bay Area for me is year-round riding. The only thing that stops me is thick fog and/or ice. The mountains (hills) around us are less than 1500' for the most part (Diablo is 3500') so now real snow. For the most part, if we get down to the 30 degree area, it's usually clear and crisp, no precipitation. Class 1 I'd say. Crowded....oh yeah! Hideously expensive? Must be....I only have one bike :cry:

Duane n Oregon

Oregon--Portland, Willamette Valley, Coast. Other, more hardy riders (are you listening, Bruce?) might say we are a 2, but I think a 3. The roads are wet SO regularly, that I keep it parked most of December through February. That being said, if I pay attention to the weather, I can often get in a brisk (most be 40 degrees or more and dry) afternoon ride several Saturdays during that period.

One would need to clarify what you mean by "riding season". Are you trying to make a big tour around the region, or are you just trying to get to work (<20 miles)? I'd grade longer trips one level higher than your average urban commute trip. Furthermore, it depends on the time of day you intend to travel. It's reasonable in a lot of places to get a ride in mid-day, when the sun has warmed everything up, and foolish to ride otherwise.

For Washington, I'd give it a 1 or 2 for most of Western Wa (including the Olympic Peninsula), below about 1000'. Give it a 3 or 4 above that.

Generally, you might grade everything North of Seattle a little harder than the south half. But we could argue about how to do that all day....

For Eastern Wa (East of the Cascades), I think that you might argue a 3 for the lower elevations around Yakima and the Tri Cities, simply because of the low precipitation levels. But it's a pretty weak argument, and there's not much point in getting the bike out of the garage anyway.

The Columbia Gorge should go from a 1 or 2 to a 3 around the Bonneville dam. Perhaps someone from Portland will clarify.

There is some potential to rate lower elevations around Clarkston a 3. I haven't spent much time there in the winter. It does have a reputation for being "the banana belt", again, due to low precip. levels.

Generally rate everything else in Wa a 4.

Hi Jan,

Generally speaking, pretty much the entire southwest and all of the west, west of the sierras, below 4000', is rideable year round. North of the Oregon border, through the Willamette Valley area can be good, however reaching the inland valley from points south can mean a coastal route at times in order to reach this area if Siskiyou Summit is covered in white. All told, that's allot of territory!

Dress accordingly and whatever nature brings in the form of cold and wet can be a non-issue. The further north you travel, the wetter conditions get. Just my 2¢.

AdventurePoser

Jan,

For the most part, all of So Cal except for higher mountain elevations is rideable all winter. The great thing is, between the storms the air is crisp, cool, and the visiblity is fantastic!

Ditto for the CA 1 up through Big Sur to Monterey...If it is actively storming, stay inside by the fire, or stroll along the coast watching the waves and weather. When the front blows through, ride on! For J and I, this is some of our favorite riding time.

Sure, you could be tricked, but you are more likely to be treated!

Make sure you let me know if you find yourself down toward the LA area...

Best,

Steve

The bikes are in PHX for the winter, and pining to go out for a ride. So far no hard plans, but I have a hankering to make for OR. Duane has me second guessing that.

In any event, I will definitely put a map of all this info together and post it, likely this weekend. Keep the info coming, and thanks!

Is it the case that coastal OR is worse than coastal WA?

How about Mt. Lemmon, the Mogollon Rim (US-191), and other high places? Would you say that there is an elevation cutoff applicable to AZ/NM that you could say below this it's 1, between this and that it's 2, and above this it's 3/4?

I'm thinking the 1 stuff ends about 5000'. Does that sound about right? I think in UT it's maybe about 3000'. In other words St George, Zion (Springdale side), and Kanab are about it.

Mount Lemmon at Windy Point on 3-1-2010, elev. 6600 MSL. But it was toasty down in Tucson. :grin:

ResizeofDSC_3083.jpg

ResizeofDSC_3088.jpg

I spent a month in Sierra Vista from 2-15 thru 3-15 2010. There are some nice destinations down that way--Tombstone, Bisbee, Chiricahua Monmt., Nogales (pack heat). Did a bit of dual-sport in the desert too. Days were 60-65, nights 40.

Well, living near San Francisco, I ride year round but I like riding in the rain. That said, I really only ride in the rain a couple of days each year.

When I used to commute into the inner Bay Area, I would drive my truck if it was raining very hard because I've seen way too many cars slam into each other in the rain. I don't wish to be the white (red?) creamy filling between them.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Others have accurately described Seattle. Commutable most every day, except the occasional 50-year storm. Much outside of Seattle, even climbing just a little in elevation sees snow, but it rarely sticks around for long. I don't think I would attempt the passes this time of year, without a look at the traffic cams first. Then again, I rode to the St Helens lookout on Dec 26 one year. Dry road, really chilly, gorgeous.

Portland seems to be colder, and folks around here say it's 10 degrees both warmer and colder. The precipitation is about the same as Seattle, but it comes in harder doses.

Oregon coast is more consistently ON the coast, so you'll see windier/wetter conditions that Washington coast, where 101 runs inland most of the way. Of course that comes with shaded roads, so the likelihood of icy conditions is more likely. Routes from the coast to the I-5 corridor are hit and miss this time of year.

Still, should you decide to land in Portland, please stay at our place. I'd be very happy to host.

I'll chime in here, the Oregon coast is open most of the winter except for a few days of ice or snow. It might rain but that is something most don't experience enough to enjoy. The best part is having the highway to ones self. If more than a day I usually ride south into northern California about as far as San Francisco along Highway One. There are a few places I might venture east but usually run into snow. Highway 36 and 3 would be suspect, as are areas around Happy Camp, Soms Bar, Fort Jones and Etna. The mountain passes in Oregon this year have been clobbered with snow.

Duane, this weekend will be the Cheese Factory in Tillamook for breakfast, get your bike out and meet up. It will be a nice ride!...

Jan, if you get this far do give me a heads-up. There is always room at my house.

I live in Burney, 50 miles east of Redding. I try to ride all year round, but have difficulties for periods of time during winter months (November through April) due to ice and snow on the roads. It's rare that the conditions prohibit me from getting out for the occassional ride a number of times each winter. Durning the winter months I direct myself towards the valley where there are many low elevation roads available. As for our favorite mountain routes, many of the are not adviseable from November to late April, depending on the winter storm activities. Highways 36, 299, 3, 96, 44 and 89 are more often not adviseable for motorcycles, due to snow and ice. If one carefully watches the conditions you might find a opportunity to ride them. That's what I can tell you about the upper NorCal area.

Thanks for all the invites and advice. We'll get to planning something specific here soon.

Anyone have a software suggestion for mapping this information out. I'm about ready to just mark up a map and scan it. That might be easiest. But I'd really like to use something that would allow some elevation contours. Anything free on the web?

Google maps works well. You can convert over to the Sateite view and many parts of California offer street view. When your done you can save and send links to your route.

@MB:

I started a retirement thread in other topics a few weeks ago. This thread relates, in that we would like to ride to look at somewhere(s) on the retirement places list, and I equate riding weather to the list to some extent. But really right now the purpose of this thread was to kind of map out winter riding territory.

@Cali:

Yes, for a route, but I am planning to map regions, and would like to use elevation contours. A different matter, but thanks.

Archived