IGNORED

Need TV / Blu-Ray Advice

moshe_levy

Hello All-

Black Friday sales have been too good to ignore, and I think it's time to replace my 12 year old Sony 32" TV and basic DVD player with a flat screen and a Blu-Ray. I'd like if at all possible to get everything up off the floor since my family room is now clogged with baby stuff (toys, playpen, etc.).

So, I'm looking at Consumer Report's #1 rated 52", Sony's Bravia KDL-52NX800 ($1499 today at Sears) and a matching Sony Blu Ray, which CR recommends as BDP-S570 (about $170 @ Sears). I guess I need a wall mount and maybe a "soundbar" so I can get rid of all the speakers from my old Yamaha surround sound.

I'm obviously not an expert here, but I do appreciate good quality and we regularly watch movies from Netflix. I'd like to start streaming these instead of using DVDs all the time as well. Any advice appreciated.

-MKL

After reading all of the reviews, I was also considering the Sony Bravia.

But when I actually went to look at them side by side, the Samsung 55" LED Model UN55C6300SF was a clear winner. (currently $1400)

To that, I added a compatible Samsung Blu-Ray player and a Samsung Soundbar.

Very satisfied.

Michael

(I'm not a new member as indicated on the left, I just lost my password and had to create a new account. :dopeslap: )

I just bought the Sony BDP-S570 and am very happy with it so far. Even though I only have a 2.5-3 MB internet connection I was able to watch an HD movie from Amazon VOD last night without any noticeable problems. I've watched several Netflix shows and listened to Pandora. It can see my computer and play music from the attached USB drive. I haven't tried plugging a drive into the Sony directly yet but that should be a no-brainer. The one BluRay disc I have played looked fantastic and other DVDs look good too.

+1 for Samsung.

We have 2 Samsung TV's, one a 56" DLP (HL-S5688W owned for 3 years) and the other a 40" LCD (LN40A550P3F owned for just over a year now). Only issue was with the DLP was a new bulb installed in Feb of this year, which was pretty normal replacement time/life.

We also purchased a Samsung DVD player 2 1/2 years ago with zero issues. Four months ago, we purchased a Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-Ray player with WiFi to replace the DVD player which was on the DLP TV.

The Blu-Ray works great with Netflix with quick load times. Very easy to upgrade software too :thumbsup:

Very pleased with Samsung products :thumbsup:.

It's possible to show that technically a DVD cannot perform as well as a BluRay on a large 1080p TV, that doesn't mean the source material is good though. BluRay discs also have room for a lot of extras for people that enjoy that sort of thing, I do.

Fair enough, I was helping my father look for TVs when I came across that article.

Alright, got back from the store - what a mob scene! The Sony TV was, to my eyes, as good as Samsung, and substantially less expensive with today's sale. I got both the TV and the Blu Ray for under $1500. Not bad.

Now I have to deal with sound. I'm thinking sound bar since that will move things off the ground out of baby-reach. Right now, I have an 5 year old Yamaha htr 5740 which has loads of speakers and wires all over the place which would be nice to replace with something clean and neat.

Any sound bar suggestions?

-MKL

A new sound system is a good idea. Your new equipment has hdmi inputs and I'm pretty sure your old sound system does not. I replaced my amplifier/receiver with an new Yamaha but kept my Bose satellite speakers and subwoofer.

Archived