IGNORED

starter solenoid

essman

Does anyone know if you can get the starter solenoid from a parts supplier. Bench testing it, I can make the starter run, but the solenoid does nothing. There are some numbers on the solenoid, but I can't link them to a part number--Thanks

I suspect you might not be able to get just the solenoid. But, who is the manufacturer - Bosch, Valeo, other? What are the part numbers on the solenoid itself? With that info I would do a Google search and see what happens (if you haven't already). Also, you could check with Beemerboneyard.com to see what they might have.

I never looked at the RT starter but if the starter solenoid is not the pull in type that also engages the drive as well as the motor. you can purchase an external relay rated for the starter amps and remote mount it.

I never looked at the RT starter but if the starter solenoid is not the pull in type that also engages the drive as well as the motor. you can purchase an external relay rated for the starter amps and remote mount it.

Evening New Blue

On the BMW 1100/1150/1200 boxer the starter solenoid is mounted on the starter so it pulls the starter drive into flywheel engagement using a plunger and fork affair at that time also powering the starter motor.

Evening New Blue

On the BMW 1100/1150/1200 boxer the starter solenoid is mounted on the starter so it pulls the starter drive into flywheel engagement using a plunger and fork affair at that time also powering the starter motor.

Happy Thanksgiving dirtrider

Makes sense with the engine trans arangement on this bike

Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving dirtrider

That's how it looks like it works, it looks very similar in looks and setup to the Valeo, but this is a Bosch starter and it seems to be unique to the 1200RT--which I don't understand why they would have to do that. The uniqueness makes it harder to find a used one that fits. B-Boneyard doesn't have a used one right now. The only numbers that I could find on the solenoid were 40623486 and the 6s might be 8s. It was very hard to read even with a magnifying glass as it almost looked double struck. Taking it to an electrical shop may be a good start--no pun intended. BMW wants $460 for a new one and the cheapest used starter I can find is about $230. I just got this RT for a very reasonable price, but it was stored for four years in a damp climate so I am dealing with corrosion issues and the fluids, especially the gas, were just awful. I am not even trying to get the bike running until a lot of things get sorted out---good winter project. Thanks--Mark

Thanks

Archived