IGNORED

Order ESA on R1200RT?

Buckster

With a 30" inseam, should I order ESA on R1200RT or stick with standard suspension? Any idea if the suspension with ESA in lowest setting is comparable to the standard suspension. I'll probably go with the low seat option. Thanks Buck

In my opinion, your inseam isn't as important as how often you change your shock settings. As in spring preload and dampening. For me, I love it since I ride 2 up a lot, and ride different types of roads. I must admit that I do leave it in the comfort setting most of the time.

im 150 and the esa is great for my weight...I also leave it on comfort most of the time, but in the twisties, sport mode is very stable and for the not so twisty roads normal is perfect...

Hi, I am a 30" inseam. I have the ESA on my bike and really like it. As mentioned, possibly the only thing is how often do you change your settings. Or, how often you wished you had! As I understand it, ESA is standard on all bikes now. Beech cool.gif

ESA: It was not available on the first shipments of '05 R1200RT. Second half of '05 production ESA was standard - you could not get a bike without it. Now '06 bikes have ESA as a option. The dealer can add it to the bike or delete it, when a bike gets "allocated" to the dealer, before it goes into production. Go figure...

The ESA is not a height adjustment feature, it alters the preload a bit and the compression and rebound damping.

I don't thinkthe preload adjustment is enough to physically notice a change in seat height while stopped.

I have ESA on my '05 and am very pleased with it.

ESA alters the spring rate of the rear spring (at a standstill)there fore changes the ride heigth. I sometimes use this feature in stop and go traffic and sometimes to mount and dismount when I am loaded heavy. Leon

Just did an experiment, went out on my driveway, started the bike and switched ESA modes, from Comfort, single rider to Sport mode, two up, the preload raises the bike between 1/2" to 3/4". You can feel this happening.

Archived