IGNORED

Can't Believe I'm Posting This . . . CB Radio Question

1st Shirt

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever ask for help on this subject. I'm over in Korea and do a lot of riding with the MC on post. It's mostly HD riders and a great group of guys. Of course they all have CB Radios. Sooooo, I'm thinking I would like to install a CB on my R1150RT. I have an Autocom and a FRS/GMRS on the bike, but could lose the FRS/GMRS for now. Any ideas on radios and how to install? Any help is greatly appreciate and please, no snide remarks my pride is already damaged just from asking the question. :dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap:

Survived-til-now

Do you mean CB, as in AM band 1970's citizen band? We had a post recently where someone wanted to mount a separate CB aerial http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=58841&Number=652890#Post652890

Or do you mean a UHF FM Transceiver? I use the Kenwood Protalk TK - 3201 linked via an Autocom supplied lead plugged into my Autocom and it works absolutely fine. I just clip the radio to my belt (with a safety loop for insurance) and away you go....

One tip - make sure the Kenwood is set to announce its channel setting i.e. when you change channel it tells you what channel you are on - a very useful feature.

Only problem with that is if the other riders have CB, you cannot communicate with them. I didn't know that you were permitted to use a CB in Korea?

Survived-til-now

Obviously you will match to what they are using, but boatzo's point had occured to me too....

By the time you have finished your tour the North Koreans will have added a couple of extra volumes to your personal file and may have gained useful intell on a wider basis - be careful what you say over the CB, very careful :(

There have been many threads on the use of CBs with autocom. I personally have used them with some success but bottom line, it is problematic. The best seems to be the Cobra handheld with weather but even with this one, you can get a feedback squeal when transmitting. Move the leads around a little and it may work but the next day, the squeal may come back. Probably the best solution is a J&M but that means using their headset too.

There have been many threads on the use of CBs with autocom. I personally have used them with some success but bottom line, it is problematic. The best seems to be the Cobra handheld with weather but even with this one, you can get a feedback squeal when transmitting. Move the leads around a little and it may work but the next day, the squeal may come back. Probably the best solution is a J&M but that means using their headset too.

If you use a portable CB like the Cobra 38, we offer a kit that will completely eliminate the squeal that is caused by radio frequency interference getting into the Autocom's audio circuit. A simple 10-15 minute self install.

RocketMoto

I tried a Cobra 38 with Autocom and could not get rid of the squeal.I could not find this kit on your website. Could you point me in the right direction

RocketMoto

I tried a Cobra 38 with Autocom and could not get rid of the squeal.I could not find this kit on your website. Could you point me in the right direction

Hi Scott:

You're right - our website stinks. Now that the season has slowed down, we actually have time to work with our Web developer who's been after us for almost a year to get moving. We'll be there before long.

OK - about the kit - it consists of two ferrite core RFI (radio frequency interference) filters, and shrink tubing for a tidy install. No cutting or hack jobs required. Install in about 10-15 minutes. The problem is not uncommon, and the proximity of the Cobra's antenna to the audio lead is root cause of the issue. We've done a ton of these kits, and so far, we've managed to eliminate the squeal issue in every instance. The material in the filters we supply is intended to 'trap' frequencies in the 27MHz CB range.

RFI is nothing new to me - I was a Ham radio operator since I was about 12 years old. I used to 'tear up' every TV, Hi-Fi system and telephone in the neighborhood. I was a real menace ;) . I got pretty darn good at resolving all manner of interference issues.

I use a JM 2003 CB on my rt. I have satellite radio hooked up to it and plugged into my headset(JM). My buddy did the same on his bike and we love them. Range sucks but they do well enough. I would do it again.

Archived