IGNORED

HELP Removable knee Sliders

RevRay

Planning on wearing my Aero Stich Transit Suit for a track day and a Code school in the summer of 2011. I'm familiar with track leather sliders also the velcro sewn on ballistic suits, has anyone spied a strap on version, maybe like the knee protection worn by flooring carpenters. Or do I have to invent my own, in which case all suggestions will be welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving

Hey Ray!

I'd be careful about using pads with straps on them...in a get off they might catch something and do more damage than good.

MB>

Planning on wearing my Aero Stich Transit Suit for a track day and a Code school.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, just trying to prep you for the reaction you'll get there. :grin:

ShovelStrokeEd

I wore my Roadcrafter to a Code school, level 1 only. I didn't have the knee sliders and didn't really need them. Hanging off was not really my style. They did caution me that getting a knee down would be a very bad thing with just the textile, interior armor notwithstanding.

Aerostich will happily add the velcro panels necessary to use standard knee sliders. If you aren't going to be on track until next summer, that's plenty of time to get that done. But knee sliders really aren't necessary. They aren't knee protection. They just give you something to drag on the ground so that you can feel where you are without damaging your suit. Odds are good you won't be using them on your first track days, but even if you can get your knee down, it is perfectly possible to ride without doing so.

All that said, I did my first Code school in a Roadcrafter and I HATED it. Halfway through the day, I rented some leathers from the school and it was so much better. The roadcrafter is slippery against the tank where the leather was grabby - which made all the difference in the world on the body position front. I was a fairly new rider at the time, and likely wouldn't be nearly so put off by the roadcrafter now, but leathers really are the way to go on track. And as much as I love my roadcrafter for commuting and touring, there's no doubt in my mind that leathers offer superior protection in a long slide like you are more likely to encounter on a race track. Code offers leathers for rent. I recommend taking advantage of that fact.

Code offers leathers for rent. I recommend taking advantage of that fact.

That's not a bad idea, but also keep an eye on ebay. Used leathers pop up all the time, for cheap! I got my first set for $125. After 30 track days, I traded them for a case of Heinekin after I got my second set, for $93.

Btw, start putting a little money away each month. After you get hooked on track days, you're gonna need a track bike, stands, tire warmers, etc., etc., etc.

i used my one piece roadcrafter stitch for level 1 and 2. never a laugh or smirk, and some of the "leather" crowd even commented that I got out of my stitch so fast they were envious.

believe me, you get a hot day at VIR in July and and a nice one piece stitch is welcomed. Now if you already are a knee dragging rider, going to Keith for improvement, then that is different.

russell_bynum
i used my one piece roadcrafter stitch for level 1 and 2. never a laugh or smirk, and some of the "leather" crowd even commented that I got out of my stitch so fast they were envious.

believe me, you get a hot day at VIR in July and and a nice one piece stitch is welcomed. Now if you already are a knee dragging rider, going to Keith for improvement, then that is different.

+1

You aren't likely to need sliders for your first day anyway.

If you do want sliders, just rent a leather suit from the school...it's quite reasonable and will give you better protection than you get with the Roadcrafter anyway.

Addendum to my original post. I'm working on level 5 this is my second time doing level four, The Aero stich transit suit is a two piece full Leather vented suit much cooler then my one piece track leathers. With that said thanks for all the responses, I have a idea of cutting track leather at mid thigh and mid calf, slicing along lenght of cut off pant legs adding a zipper in essence making a leg section that fits over transit suit leg that can be zipped on and off. ahh the makings of a winter project.

I just use Mark I knee caps.

Curious so I Googled I Mark knee caps and found this

HELP Removable knee Sliders - BMWSportTouring Forums8 posts - 8 authors

Francois_Dumas Offline Poldergeist Member Registered: 06/10/04. Posts: 9168. Loc : Good ol' Europe. I just use Mark I knee caps. ...

bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat...

and lots of other sites for artifical knees???

on my old set of Vetter leathers, i just got my knee pucks, marked where i wanted them, centered over the knee scratches i already had. I got a piece of velco from a fabric store like JoAnnes that was almost the same color as the blue of my leathers, cut the loop side of the velcro to a little bigger than the pucks/sliders were to allow for a little repositioning, barely sindged the edges with a soliering iron to prevent fraying, and used rubber cement to both the leathers and the back of the loop side velcro and stuck them together. The paid a shoe repair shop like 10 bucks to stitch the velcro to the leathers for added adhesion. The pucks i bought had velcro on the back that was the hook side. Stuck the pucks to the leathers and rode the piss out of that set of leathers until i "out grew" them. I had that 30 something growth spurt....

Francois_Dumas
I just use Mark I knee caps.

Curious so I Googled I Mark knee caps and found this

HELP Removable knee Sliders - BMWSportTouring Forums8 posts - 8 authors

Francois_Dumas Offline Poldergeist Member Registered: 06/10/04. Posts: 9168. Loc : Good ol' Europe. I just use Mark I knee caps. ...

bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat...

and lots of other sites for artifical knees???

:grin::grin::grin:

Archived