IGNORED

3000 miles and these faults so far. 1200RT

wadham

1/ Before the 600 miles service the rear transmission bearing failed.

2/ Mirror fell off at 80mph. Only held on by 3 plastic bungs. 2000 miles. Now secured with duct tape both sides.

3/ Rider seat collapsed down at back due to faulty mounting. 2500 miles. Still dealing with this one.

Could be worse I suppose.

frown.gif

I,m sorry to here your having some problems, my 1200rt seems fine so far, I have used some cord behind my mirrors to attach them to the bike to save them should part company.

One did break free once, but a little slower then your 80mph, well actualy 0mph, when I dropped the bar stuard dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Steve Carter

Your case is not typical. Most of the reports so far have included little nagging stuff about the BC. My only complaint is that the tires wear out too fast. Got 13,250 miles on my Z6 Metzelers that came with the bike. Replacing them next week. clap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The transmission bearing is consitant with normal bearing failure mode. Typically, if they are gonna fail, they do so early in life. It may have been damaged on assembly. It is NOT a design problem of fault.

The mirror mounts have been in use since 1984. It is entirely possible the mirror was not mounted properly in the first place. Your dealer can replace the mirror and the studs under warranty.

Are you sure the seat was mounted properly in the first place? It's easy to get it wrong. Anyway, should be a warranty issue as well.

I wouldn't worry over much. Two of the problems are niggling and one is not likely to repeat.

Your case is not typical. Most of the reports so far have included little nagging stuff about the BC.

My only complaint is that the tires wear out too fast. Got 13,250 miles on my Z6 Metzelers that came with the bike. Replacing them next week. clap.gif

That's 5-6,000 more than on a K bike grin.gifwith the same tire.

I'd be thrilled with 10K. dopeslap.gif

The bike is still excellent for me, just too many niggles.

The mirrors only have female rubber mounts into which the plastic lugs slide. There is no longer a metal retaining clip on the female rubber mount to grip the lug. Mine was fitted correctly and has been refitted correctly by the dealer but was still loose. We changed the mirror and it fitted a bit tighter but it still needs duct tape. I think that movement may have loosened or worn the rubber or it was a duff manufactured item.

The seat collapsed when in the high position, down onto the lower position rear plastic mount. This caused the front to twist up and over the sides of the tank. It seems the seat does not fit correctly onto the mounting system as when the dealer checked against their demo the seat was a tighter fit against the rear mount. They managed to push that mount forward which worked but it is still looser than the demo.

Harvey_Harrison

I've accumulated 9,000 miles on my RT now and the only problem worthy of reporting is that the passenger seat heater will get hot, even though it is not turned on, if there is a passenger. Without a passenger, it stays cool. Uses about a half quart of oil between changes. No other issues and dealer service is great.

Harvey,

Your mention of oil reminds of a huge difference I've noticed between my R1200RT and previous R1150RT. When new, the 1150 burnt oil at the rate of 1l/1000km, tapering off to negligible when it felt worn-in at about 50k km. I could also tell the rate at which it was burning oil by the amount of soot at the exhaust tip and under the left side case. frown.gif Having said all that, I was happy with my 1150. If not for the major improvements with the 1200, I would have been quite content with the 1150.

The R1200RT burnt 200 ml of oil by the time I took it in for its first inspection and oil change and 1000 km. I changed the oil and filter again at 5800 km in preparation for my riding vacation in your area, the Hill Country (first 10 days of October). My odometer now shows just under 13k km and the sight glass is still full. clap.gif Another indicator for me that this bike is not burning any oil is that there is almost no fouling at the exhaust.

So far, I have not had any mechanical or ergonomical problems. clap.gif I am thoroughly pleased with the R1200RT!

My personal rating of this R1200RT: thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

After 11,000 miles in 3 months, the only issue I have with the RT is BC. I wish it was more accurate.

The bike burns oil, but only compared to the Honda. It has tapered off the last few thousands miles.

Still running the stock Road Pilots, but in light of the post above gonna try the Z6 next. The current units still have about 2k miles remaing.

Archived