IGNORED

Denver locals?

Couchrocket

Hi Gang,

Once again I return to the Oracle to seek wisdom...

My Brother-in-law may have an opportunity to relocate to the Denver area. He has three sons all of Jr. High and High School age. He has ZERO knowledge of Denver.

I know this is an over-broad question, but thought some of you might be able to offer general advice on what areas of Denver, suburbs, etc. have to offer in the way of quality of life, good schools, etc. Parts of town to "avoid" if any, and stuff like that.

All are active in sports, swimmers, soccer players, skiers, snowboarders, fly-fishing, etc. and Don has a very nice HD Road King. Active types. They're currently located in South West Michigan.

What say you Denver locals? Thanks in advance... I'm sending Don the link to this thread so he can read your comments "unfiltered" by me.

Let her rip . . .

A lot will depend on where in town the job is. I work in Downtown Denver and live in Superior, (just into Boulder County along route 36 toward Boulder)about 18 miles. My commute is generally 35-40 minutes when I drive. The folks I work with that live in the south east of town, like Parker, have double the commute I do. My husband works in Boulder, around 9 miles, and takes about 15-20 minutes. There are plenty of good schools in the area and plenty that you would want to avoid. I would look where the potential job is and then scout the schools within a reasonable drive of that area of town. You want to be able to enjoy the lifestyle here and not be sitting in traffic. Plenty of sports for the boys to get involved in. Ours played hockey, hike, rock climb, backpack etc. Kevin is an active fly-fisherman. Lots of good streams and fun roads for the bike.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
I would look where the potential job is and then scout the schools within a reasonable drive of that area of town. You want to be able to enjoy the lifestyle here and not be sitting in traffic.

+1 to that. I was looking at a position near Littleton a number of years ago. Traffic can be pretty bad in some areas. I took the time to take a day and a half and "experience" potential commutes coming and going. Didn't take the job but, liked the area...as long as it was peripheral to the urban expanse.

I would look where the potential job is and then scout the schools within a reasonable drive of that area of town. You want to be able to enjoy the lifestyle here and not be sitting in traffic.

+1 to that. I was looking at a position near Littleton a number of years ago. Traffic can be pretty bad in some areas. I took the time to take a day and a half and "experience" potential commutes coming and going. Didn't take the job but, liked the area...as long as it was peripheral to the urban expanse.

+2.

Eileen and I live pretty close to one another-and it is a great place to live if you work on the north end of town. But I would hate to end up working somewhere on the other end of town and have to spend my life commuting instead of enjoying things!

Archived