IGNORED

Cam Sprocket Alignment...

Barglowski

Well, I replaced my leaking cylinder head gasket this weekend, and that went well except for that darn cam sprocket. dopeslap.gif

I noted the position of the sprocket with respect to the "holder" (Haynes-speak?) that the bolt attaches the sprocket to. Seems the holder has a "big" and a "little" indent, and the big indent was aligned with a corresponding indent in the sprocket (see illustration 11.10 of the 1998 Haynes manual for a good picture)

So I noted this, took the sprocket and cylinder head off, replaced the gasket, and put it back together. When I started the bike up I got a lot of "clatter" from the right side, so I turned the bike off. I opened back up the cam sprocket cover and took the bolt off, and discovered that the sprocket was about 20 degrees off from the alignment indents!

So...I'm thinking I did something wrong. The bike ran, but clattered. I think I could realign the sprocket and button it up again, but I feel like some step's missing. In the Haynes manual it say something about making sure the chain is taut on the top for the right side cylinder -- something I didn't do. Maybe lacking that step I ended up installing the sprocket one tooth off?

So my questions are:

1) How should I have done this?

2) Is there any way to make sure the sprocket/holder do not move during tightening of the cam sprocket bolt?

3) Is is possible (or likely) for me to realign the sprocket?

4) Is is likely that I've hurt the valves? crazy.gif

Thanks for any insight!

jan

The cam needs to be aligned with respect to the crankshaft position. You may have done some damage. Check the manual and follow instructions for proper alignment. I am sure that they will have you place the respective piston on TDC and give an alignment mark to use through the flywheel hole. Then you will align the cam sprocket and cam by using their respective marks. Read through the manual and get some help if you don't understand it.

Once the cam is installed correctly, do a compression check on each cylinder. They should read within 5-10 pounds of each other. Good luck! Get help from another mechanic if you aren't sure.

Archived