IGNORED

Tight formations: What's the logic?

Jon_M

Leaving aside the recent horror story near San Diego, I have tried but failed to puzzle out the reasoning for riding in tight formations. Club riders often insist that traveling in those disciplined and organized clusters is a safety measure, but it seems clear to me that (1) because they tend to be slow and take up a lot of pavement, they incite impatient and dangerous passing by frustrated followers, and (2) they almost guarantee that if one rider goes down, others are going to follow.

Am I wrong? What am I missing?

In MY opinion, tight formations are deadly. Case in point, a very good friend and 3 others were riding together in a loose formation a few months ago on Hwy 395 north of Reno. A wrong way driver hit and instantly killed the SECOND rider in the group. The lead rider BARELY avoided being hit. The other 2 riders managed to avoid the carnage. The spacing between them was about 25 yards each.

had they been in a tight formation, its very possible all 4 could have died.

Not for me thank you. I want and demand a good sized box around me when I ride. At least that offers a possible escape path if needed.

Regards

Bernd

LEO's will ride in tight, tandem formations. I have been on many long distance rides, usually to funerals for fallen officers where the gap between bikes is about 15' at 75mph. Usually we're on a freeway and always in the #1 lane.

On narrow, twisting, undivided roadways, we will single file the formation. It's all part of the para-military origins on law enforcement. Precision formation is part of the discipline mindset. I know many will disagree but that's the way it is.

LEO's also train for it. As opposed to the hoist-a-mug elbow training most pirates-riding-in-a-parade train for. Yeah, I know, stereotype much? Ha ha.

Yeah Bob, but some hooligan isn't likely to try and overtake a bunch of LEO's whether you're in formation or not are they?

Linz :)

A hooligan could try it and probably get away with it. While in riding in formation, no one is supposed to break away from the group. The purpose of the ride is to get a large group of motors from one place to the other as quickly and efficiently as possible. Chasing down a hooligan/violator isn't part of the objective.

When a motor breaks away, it's usually the "tail gunner" moving over to the adjacent lane to clear it of cars. Then the rest of the group moves in unison for a lane change.

If the group stops for a stop sign, a lead bike pulls into the interesction, stops and holds cross traffic while the rest of motors go through the stop sign without stopping. The lead bike then falls into the rear.

Group riding is usually ridden at above the speed limit to avoid becoming a rolling roadblock to traffic behind.

All riding choreography is synchronized to radio communications. The Sgt is usually the trailboss in the left front. He barks the orders to move.

Ok so the LEO's do it. But they are trained pros.

The rest are wanna bees. Sardines, Wildebeestes, Doofuses??

As emotionally more stable BMW riders we don't do dat. We be free to NOT ride in packs. Ain't that grand?

Safer too, but that's inconsequential.

I think most of us are appalled at groups larger than say 5 bikes?

I don't ever remember getting stuck behind a group of LEO's riding in formation. It's always been groups on cruiser's.

Here in the Portland area there is a Moped club and a scooter club, even those guys don't impede traffic like the paint shaker crowd.

RATFINK'S RULES OF ORDER: Group Rides

Kworum fer a group ride is 13, Reel bikes only allowed.

Never tuch that big lever in fronta the throttle, itll make ya face plant. Itz only ther to hold the bike still while yer squeeze is mountin up on the pad.

All rides must stop at the thunderclap inn fer biker night. talko's ar 3 fer a buck and pounder cans of PBR are only $1.50,

so the more ya drink the mor muny ya save.

bootz must have lether souls so they slide e-z when ya drag yer foot ya dont want it hangin up on nutthin.

Don't never let nobuddy past us up cuz thats a DIS, specially if there on a rice bike. keep it tite dont let em in the 4mashun.

Unce yer in hi ger put yer fete up on th hiway pegz and make shur ya don't never shift down fer nuthin.

Ifn helmets are required just git a salad bole and paint it blck or silver. We got lotz a DOT stikkers if ya nede un and Ratfinks ole' lady can help ya put on strate and in the rite spot.

Ride safe thers lotza crazys out ther.

Leaving aside the recent horror story near San Diego, I have tried but failed to puzzle out the reasoning for riding in tight formations. Club riders often insist that traveling in those disciplined and organized clusters is a safety measure, but it seems clear to me that (1) because they tend to be slow and take up a lot of pavement, they incite impatient and dangerous passing by frustrated followers, and (2) they almost guarantee that if one rider goes down, others are going to follow.

Am I wrong? What am I missing?

There's really only one reason for tight formations and that is to operate as one vehicle. In other words, you ride tight to discourage any other vehicle from entering your formation. At intersections/stop signs/etc. you travel through with the whole formation instead of one or two bikes at a time. For police formations this lets you move a large number of motors from point A to point B quickly and "in style" (if you have read other post by motor officers you'll know that it is all about "looking good"...).

Is it more dangerous? Absolutely. But, police formations generally travel faster than traffic, as stated by Bob. We also have the advantage of having lights and sirens to facilitate the movement of a larger group more securely.

Recommended for most riders? No. Increasing the chances of having a multi-vehicle crash? Always.

As I understand these things, 1%-ers will ride in tight formation for much the same reason as LEOs. And compared to the casual rider who might like to imitate them, the bikers do tend to have more riding experience and tighter group communication to help pull it off. Of course there are other risks to that sort of group but if you're rolling with outlaw bikers, I'm guessing a tight formation isn't much to worry about. Point being, the formation gets a reputation so those who want to borrow that rep find it appealing.

Rationalization works!

Police formations are a special case and have lots of visible signs of their legitimacy and purpose. Club riders imitating that strategy are another matter. I think it's an in-your-face thing that's meant to compel others to give them an inviolable space. It's in the same category as spectacularly loud pipes. Knowing that the racket creates offense is the whole point. Everybody knows that "loud pipes save lives" is pure BS.

Is it more dangerous? Absolutely. But, police formations generally travel faster than traffic, as stated by Bob. We also have the advantage of having lights and sirens to facilitate the movement of a larger group more securely.

Recommended for most riders? No. Increasing the chances of having a multi-vehicle crash? Always.

+1

It is meaningless to compare LEOs riding in formation to club riders doing something that looks a little similar but really is a very different beast. Club rides share all the dangers that LEOs are risking with none of the tools to mitigate the risks.

Perhaps the answer why motorcyclists travel in groups can be found in animals. I know some animal species travels in packs..wolves for instance. I assume its for safety, strength in numbers, hunting as a team, identify a team leader, hierarchy and sexual, submissive reasons. Maybe some of that applies to humans? Predators tend to attack the lone sheep that strayed from a group.

There's really only one reason for tight formations and that is to operate as one vehicle. In other words, you ride tight to discourage any other vehicle from entering your formation. At intersections/stop signs/etc. you travel through with the whole formation instead of one or two bikes at a time. For police formations this lets you move a large number of motors from point A to point B quickly and "in style" (if you have read other post by motor officers you'll know that it is all about "looking good"...).

When you say it's all about "lookin' good," isn't the real underlying pride because its all about actually being good, and because of that you look good? In other words, it ain't just about appearances for you guys. It more a measure of ability, which is real and measurable - rather than the average (or less) group of wannabees riding in formation on the hiways and byways.

You LEOs train hard, but not only that you more importantly train well. There's another important factor someone alluded to earlier, you all have a definitive structure of authority you all follow implicitly. The group leader is not simply chosen haphazardly at the begining of the ride (as in the wannabee's case) ... and you all respond positively and immediately to the LEO who is in charge. The very para-military structure previously mentioned is a structure you can and regularly do depend on.

Again, that is not the case for the average wannabees on the street. I know quite a few of that type. All they do is complain (not unlike BMW riders) about each other's lack of perceived ability or someone's unwillingness to follow "commands" or "protocol" as it were.

So all that said, it would seem this kind of riding (for non-LEOs) more dangerous than many other offenses that are actively prosecuted. I know in my state it's legal to ride two abreast, but tailgating is still very illegal and is actively enforced.

* Why is their riding in formation not considered tailgating?

* Is it just a matter of it having not yet been proven by stats to actually be dangerous?

* Or is this sort of tailgating not a stat actively collected?

LEO's will ride in tight, tandem formations. I have been on many long distance rides, usually to funerals for fallen officers where the gap between bikes is about 15' at 75mph. Usually we're on a freeway and always in the #1 lane.

On narrow, twisting, undivided roadways, we will single file the formation. It's all part of the para-military origins on law enforcement. Precision formation is part of the discipline mindset. I know many will disagree but that's the way it is.

If all were as experienced and practiced at it as law enforcement riders are then that would be fine. Personally, I prefer the staggered, and looser, formations if riding in a group.

Just as few private pilots would attempt to fly tight like the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, I must take care of #1 first and that means I need space to maneuver and prepare for collision avoidance. I needs my space, man!

So all that said, it would seem this kind of riding (for non-LEOs) more dangerous than many other offenses that are actively prosecuted. I know in my state it's legal to ride two abreast, but tailgating is still very illegal and is actively enforced.

* Why is their riding in formation not considered tailgating?

* Is it just a matter of it having not yet been proven by stats to actually be dangerous?

* Or is this sort of tailgating not a stat actively collected?

It certainly would be considered tailgating, however, I can think of reasons for a lack of enforcement. The foremost reason being the argument likely to be raised at the stop or later in court, which is, "You guys (LEOs) do it all the time, how come you're giving me/us a ticket for doing the same thing." Silly? Sure, especially given the differences that have been outlined between LEOs and civilian riders riding in formation in this post, but a reality none the less.

Some judges will bite with this kind of bait. :frown:

Criminy! I should put flashing blue & red lights on my bike so I can use them to speed pass traffic nearly anywhere. Seems possible some judges might bite on that sort of bait, too! :dopeslap: Ughhhhh, nope! I don't think I'll go that route afterall. It's bad enough I occasionally break other laws. ;):grin::wave:

Um, Craig? The underlying premise is that emergency vehicles (including LEO) will use lights and siren to alert others when operating outside of traffic laws and regulations.

If officers are violating traffic ordinances without L&S, they are technically breaking the law in many states. They'll never be ticketed for it, nor convicted, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily following the law.

Archived