IGNORED

Satellite radio

Lawman

I'm interested in installing a satellite radio on a motorcycle that has no radio or speakers at this time..I have no experience with satellite radio or how it works..What is involved in installing on a motorcycle..I assume I would need an amp in addition to speakers and radio but where and how would the radio mount? Is it waterproof? Can it be easily removed? What radio is good for motorcycles?.. What is the cost? Does it work well or should I forget it? thx...

If your bike has a glove box (my 05 rt has one) you can install the radio inside it.

most radio`s have internal amps. all you need to buy is an XM ready radio (mine is a panasonic) an interface module and ant. module (comes with ant.) wire it to a power source and add speakers, your in. Oh yeah you`ll need to pay the XM radio bill to get a signal. need more help? just ask. thumbsup.gif

I have a Garmin 376C and the XM radio rception is outstanding. The unit also does NEXRAD weather, driving directions, all sorts of stuff. Pretty nice. Weatherproof. Bit pricey, though.

A couple of ways to do it;

1.) use the satellite receiver as the "front-end" to a standard AM/FM/Cassette or CD w. speakers configuration (wireless or cassette adaptor)

2.) satellite radio only with a means of piping tunes into your helmet. (Autocom, etc...)

Option 1 if you want the ability to listen to standard radio or cassette/CD...or if you want tunes if/when you ever ride lid-less

Option 2 if you always wear skid-lid, want intercom feature when riding 2-up, and if you don't care about listening to local radio.

Once you've picked one of those options....then the fun of how to mount, etc...begins

I use option 2....XM Roady 2 w. Autocom Active 7 Smart.

I always wear my lid, I don't care for local radio, hate carrying CDs and cassettes, and I don't mind being tethered to the bike by the audio cable. The wife likes the intercom. I had the Autocom before I had satellite radio....it was a good fit for me.

You can see my setup here if you're interested. I am still fine-tuning how I want to configure it....I do not want anything semi-permanently mounted to the bike so I opt for tank-bag set up....I can also move this to the pickup truck and use cassette adaptor....works for me

I use a Delphi MyFi, with Etymotic ER-6i headphones, and a RAM CLAMP bracket. That will give you five hours on battery, more if you plug in.

Works great!

No wiring to the bike. Use the same unit in house, car, bicycle, etc. Pay only one subscription.

By far the best personal gadget purchase in MANY years!

John Bellantonio

I use the XM Roady II which is small and easily mounts using the suppplied bracket and wiring. For the power connection I use an American style connector that adapts to the BMW plug which I then plug into an accesory outlet. Since I do not use a tank bag I mount the Roady on the gas tank in front of the fuel filler and route the power and antenna wires along the left seam of the side panel and gas tank interface. I place the magnetic based antenna on a metal support under the rear section of the drivers seat. You can plug earphones directly into the Roady unit but what I prefer allows a wireless connection between the unit and myself. Since the Roady broadcasts an FM signal I have a very small Radio Shack am/fm radio in my riding coat pocket with my custom molded earbuds plugged into the radio. The XM signal is broadcasted to the small radio. I modulate the volume thru the radio. This works very well and the AAA battery that powers the small radio seems to last a very long time. In heavy rain I use small plastic elasticized bowl covers to keep the unit dry or I just unplug the power and antenna cords and stow the unit in my pocket or glove box. By using the channel pre-set feature one can change programs quickly and efficiently. I have used mine from Wyoming to the middle of Mexico without losing signal. The system works much better than I expected and has greatly enhanced my riding enjoyment. My wife has XM in her Tahoe and we are on the Family Plan. I consider XM radio to be a wonderful bargain.

I am an XM fanatic. I installed a Delphi Roady 2 on my R.

I was going to get a bracket and extra antenna to take my car unit and transfer it to the bike. But the Roady 2 is now < $40, including all brackets, antenna, etc., so I just bought another Roady 2 from myradiostore.com. I use the Hoon Hardware bracket to mount it http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/RoadyAlts/roadyalts.htm

I already had the RAM handlebar mount from something else, so I only needed to buy the Hoon Hardware Roady holder. You could also put it on the clutch reservoir cover.

I bought a cigarette lighter socket from Radio Shack that I spliced into a switched power source. I use the Roady's cigarette lighter plug because it has the 12v to 6v transformer built into the plug. I plugged that into the Radio Shack socket, duct taped them together, and placed it near the battery. I could have used one of those fancy little 12v to 6v converters, but I like my solution better. The new generation Roady XT uses 5 volts, for example, so I have more flexibility with my approach for future upgrades.

I also bought an in-line volume control at Radio Shack for $6 or $7. It dangles from the Roady. I put the ear buds on, put the helmet on, plug in and I am ready to go.

For a total of about $85 I now have a cool satellite radio set up on my bike. That price includes the Zip Loc bag I carry around in case it rains.

I have been doing more interstate commuting lately because of a new job. I love having XM for that.

On the back roads, I like just the noise of the engine.

I recommend Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones. I got mine for $85 from Amazon w/ free shipping.

My total cost for the radio, hardware and headphones was about $170. This is an easy, relatively low cost way to get satellite radio. You do not need an existing radio, Autocom, mixer, or other audio gear.

37169755-M.jpg

I am a Sirius Radio fan, NFL vs NASCAR, will also get Stern soon...12volt system...audio out jack for intercom or straight to earphones.

20917746-S.jpg

Simple install.

I am a Sirius Radio fan,

Me too! What radio is that one? Did you have to hardwire it? Is there a sirius radio that uses batteries? Is it as simple as plugging earphones into the radio itself?

Thanks,

Jim

Archived