IGNORED

Clogged Charcoal Canister?

APDDave

I had been having touble lately with when I go to get gas in the bike, I can hardly pry the lid open. There is a heavy vacum built up inside the tank and it wont let it open. Took the bike to the shop and they told me that the charcoal canister was completly clogged. Sould I replace it, or someone suggested to just bypass it?

Morning David

Only you can answer that question. That Evap Canister is a great emission reducer as it traps unburnt hydrocarbons then later releases them to be burned in the engine and sent through the catalytic converter.

If you are concerned with keeping the factory emission controls intact then maybe find another Evap can on E-Bay or post a wanted in the want adds here.

On the other hand it isn’t working now so simply removing it and venting the gas tank directly to atmosphere won’t add any more emissions to the planet.

A lot of riders have removed that Evap can and direct vented their gas tanks so you wouldn’t be the first or the last to do so. That also means there are plenty of take-offs floating around if you desire to go that route.

In any case you need to do something as that vacuum in the tank can ruin your fuel gauge sender and cause you other issues.

So until you make you mind up at least disconnect your plugged Evap can so at least the tank vent properly.

At least disconnect the hoses to the canister to prevent vacuum build up.

If you choose to replace, follow the hose that goes from the can across the seat to the left side and to a solenoid valve. That valve is most likely clogged with bits of charcoal as well. On the other side of the valve there's a hose that goes to the left TB. disconnect it (at the valve) and plug it up.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If you can figure out how to open it and put it back together, aquarium charcoal is acceptable to use to refurbish charcoal canisters. It is just activated charcoal.

Remove the Worthless thing. This type of Crap don't belong on motorcycles.....get rid of it.
Amen, brother! The solution to the problem of allowing unspent fuel to vaporize into the atmosphere is to ride your motorcycle a lot thereby never permitting them little hydrocarbon atoms to escape your tank! But, if you want to replace the cannister, I've got 3 or 4 of 'em around here somewhere!
If I do away with it, will it upset the computer system on the bike? Will anything else have to be reset or readjusted?

They are only fitted to USA market bikes. Just be sure both throttle body vents are capped, and that the tank is vented. On non-US bikes the vent hose runs alongside the filler-neck drain hose to behind the riders RH footpeg. Removal has no impact on the running of the bike.

Andy

wont hurt anything. and a little tip is to cut ALL vent hose on a slash cut angle or to split them at the end so that they will have a harder time clogging.

A square butt cut on the end of a hose leaves a small 1/8" opening that can be clogged by road grim or debris, but if you bologna cut the ends it leaves a much bigger tip to the cut and thus harder to clog. Or you can cut a 1" long slit from the end of the square butt cut hose up the center of the hose.

David,

The clever name for charcoal cannister removal is "cannisterectomy". Look under that name either here (BMWSportTouring) or at IBMWR.com for complete instructions. FWIW I removed my can several years ago with no ill effects.

Wooster

David,

The clever name for charcoal cannister removal is "cannisterectomy". Look under that name either here (BMWSportTouring) or at IBMWR.com for complete instructions. FWIW I removed my can several years ago with no ill effects.

Wooster

+1

Remove the Worthless thing. This type of Crap don't belong on motorcycles.....get rid of it.

Well I’ve got to jump in here as at least one dissenter. The fuel vapor emission control system on vehicles, including on motorcycles, does serve one worthy purpose - it reduces fuel vapor emissions, a significant source of pollution of the air we all have to breath. Repair it don’t remove it.

Add one more dissenter. Additionally, you will get slightly better fuel economy with the canister, as the recovered vapors are burned. It might be difficult to measure, but it will occur.

Rod

Archived