IGNORED

Garmin 2610 Condensation and Service

Bill in Vermont

Bill in Vermont

I have had my Garmin SP2610 for about 11 months. During a trip to Newfoundland, and not in the rain, it started to develop what appeared to be condensation in the screen. It would come and go over a period of several hours. I called Garmin and sent it back. In exactly a week from calling them and mailing it to them, I received one back, with another serial number, a much lower number. I presume they may have sent a remanufactured one. Anyway, The back is slightly different, with no rubber plugs for the external antenna and usb port, and I just discovered my remote doesn't work with it. So, I am going to phone them in the next few days to see what gives. Anyone have anything to contribute in the way of information?

Best bet when sending anything in to a repair service like Garmin has is to remove ererything you can, even if you don't think it is an accessory. Assume they have batteries, cables, etc. available for use if they need them.

I sent a failing 60CS in to Garmin with a plastic part screwed to the case (the same way it was delivered to me when I bought it new). The repaired unit came back without it. Garmin said it was an accessory and I should have removed it but they went ahead and sent me a new part. They are good people.

Stan

To late now but next time you get condensation, put it the the oven at 120 degree, with the door slighty ajar, for a few hours. Bake the water right out of it.

Serve warm.

...my remote doesn't work with it...

The new firmware has an option for disabling the remote, if you're running 4.40 you might try to check that.

As far as those missing rubber plugs ... sounds to me like you got the wrong unit back ... I went through the RMA process with them early last year, and the unit I got back had a later S/N and all of the baubles were intact.

Archived