IGNORED

1997 K1100LT- Rough Running

GarryDRider

I have a 1997 K1100LT. It recently started to exhibit a problem. It seems to be mis-firing. At first I thought I was imagining it. But now it has gotten worse. Not bad enough that I can reproduce the problem every time. The symptom appears as an intermittent sputter. The bike seems to jerk just a little bit, some times more than a little bit. It typically doesn't last long. Then the problem goes away. I noticed one time when I pulled in the clutch without changing the throttle position, the RPMs were fluttering. I got to where I was going alright. I rode it two more times that same day. Once it ran fine, the other time I barely got back. The problem seems to be worse at lower RPMs. Anyone seen a similar problem. Can't decide if the problem is electrical (Spark plugs/wires) or fuel. Any help would be appreciated

mikefigielski

If the RPMs are fluttering, I'd say it would be electrical, most likely a hall sensor. Of course plug wires, coils and ignition switch are also possible culprits. If you ride it again, pay close attention to the tach. If it really starts jumping around with the throttle held steady, that really sounds like a Hall sensor. Also, Hall sensor symptoms usually get worse with prolonged running and heat build up. If it runs fine at start up and gets much worse when hot, that points to the Hall sensor too. Check plug wires first though. Good luck!

Mike

The bike has about 17K miles on it. It has been maintained according to schedule by the dealer. The problem seemed to start after I had parked it for about 5 weeks. I rode it to work and started to experience the problem.

Mike,

Where is the Hall Sensor located. Is it easy to change. Any idea of cost.

Garry

Garry,

Item #1 in this link is the HES: http://tinyurl.com/cve6z

Not too difficult to change but you need to re-time the engine.

Cost new is about $384 from Chicago BMW. Mike probably has some used ones. smile.gif

If it were mine, I would disassemble and clean/reseat ALL the connectors in the electronics path. Coils, Motronic, HES, check all the grounds under the fuel tank too.

Mick

Mick

mikefigielski

17K miles is kinda low for a Hall sensor failure. I agree, check all of the connections at the Throttle position switch, ignition switch, Hall sensor plug, Motronic plug connection, battery and grounds, etc. Could just be corrosion somewhere. A lot cheaper than buying parts you may not need!

Mike

Archived