IGNORED

Side bag emblems on R12RT

Richard G

I have on my side bags BMW name emblems.

I have also seen some photos of side bags with red reflectors in them.

Why the difference? I thought at first it was a difference of a USA or European bike. But photos in the US show both.

Who's got name emblems or reflectors?

Thanks Rich

The bags come with neither. You have the choice of the BMW logo or Red reflector to go in that spot. My dealer didn't ask me and I didn't realize until later.

63 14 7 671 349 is the reflector part number.

The early 05's came in with the emblems then the later ones came in with reflectors. My understanding is that they should all have had reflectors, a DOT requirement.

Thanks, I wasnt asked which ones I would like either.

Thats what the dealer put on I guess. If they were supposed to put on the reflectors, maybe they werent aware of that.

I did not see any at that time by the dealership with reflectors. I picked my bike up in late May.

BMWcaseemblem.jpg

Well it's always reassuring to know somethings never change... This emblem vs. reflector thing on RT side cases has been going on since 1994. I kid you not!

Well it's always reassuring to know somethings never change... This emblem vs. reflector thing on RT side cases has been going on since 1994. I kid you not!
And so it continues... grin.gif I always have disliked the emblem on the sidecases of my '02 and would have preferred the reflector. That site listed above for OEM parts lists two different reflectors for the 1150RT:

09 SIDE MARKER GELB 2 46542300134 $3.63

09 SIDE MARKER ROT 2 46542300047 $3.37

Just what exactly is the difference between the GELB and the ROT? (I guess at those prices--plus the 20-30% markup they warn of from the dealer--I should order both and see just exactly what the difference is!) Once I order and go to install them, do the old ones just pop off or will I have to break them off? tongue.gif

So many questions, and so it continues... crazy.gif

My apologies for the slight hijack, however, it is a semi-related topic, if only late by a few years. smile.gif

And so it continues... grin.gif I always have disliked the emblem on the sidecases of my '02 and would have preferred the reflector. That site listed above for OEM parts lists two different reflectors for the 1150RT:

09 SIDE MARKER GELB 2 46542300134 $3.63

09 SIDE MARKER ROT 2 46542300047 $3.37

Just what exactly is the difference between the GELB and the ROT? (I guess at those prices--plus the 20-30% markup they warn of from the dealer--I should order both and see just exactly what the difference is!) Once I order and go to install them, do the old ones just pop off or will I have to break them off? tongue.gif

So many questions, and so it continues... crazy.gif

My apologies for the slight hijack, however, it is a semi-related topic, if only late by a few years. smile.gif

ROT = red

GELB = yellow/orange

ROT = red

GELB = yellow/orange

Thanks, that makes sense... crazy.gif I think!

I just ordered them through my dealer and evidentally they are just peel-off stickers? Is this right? If you bought an 1150 RT after the '02 "Touring" badge was retired, is the reflector on the side simply a sticker on top the "Touring" badge? According to them (they had them in stock) and by using the # above, that's what I have coming in the mail: reflector stickers that peel-off and are "installed" over the top of the "Touring" badge. I guess I never paid that much attention to a later '02-'05 1150 RT's side bags to see exactly what the reflector was. Anyone with a later 1150 RT care to chime in?

Once again, my apologies for hijacking this thread... blush.gif

is the reflector on the side simply a sticker on top the "Touring" badge?
The reflector version is a replacement for, not an addition to, the emblem version. Carefully pry one off to switch to the other. Regardless of which way you are going.
is the reflector on the side simply a sticker on top the "Touring" badge?
The reflector version is a replacement for, not an addition to, the emblem version. Carefully pry one off to switch to the other. Regardless of which way you are going.
So I'm guessing there is a plastic cover over this that I can just pop off? Is there any potential that I could break that by simply trying to pry it off? I looked at it today once I returned home and noticed that it looks like a cover over the "stickers". When I get the reflectors in, I'm going to carefully try to pop off the plastic cover, but just wondered if there were any tips to assure that I don't break something. Thanks, Ken.

Actually I think the reflectors are a DOT requirement. Anyone with emblems that wants reflectors should be able to get them switched at the dealer free of charge. I was at a rally in 2002 and BMWNA had a set up and they were switching them for free. Personally I prefer the badges. The reflectors are pretty much useless IMO.

My '05 came with emblems, but I thought reflectors look better in Granite Gray Metallic.

I used waxed dentalfloss to pop them off the bags. No damage to the paint surfaces. You can use Sotch tape for additional protection. clap.gif

When you get the new ones it will be pretty obvious, but the whole assembly (either emblem or reflector) is held to the lid (recessed in an indentation molded in the lid) with double sided tape.

Just a thought, If the bikes were sent to the dealers with both, emblems and reflectors, In my case I got the emblems.

what do they do with the reflectors they didnt use?

They either throw them away or keep some of the extras.

Next time I go down there I might ask them if there are any extras lying around.

Rich

Archived