IGNORED

Front tire wear

TonyS

I've always worn the rear tire a bit more than the front, until now. On the previous set of Pilot Roads the rear outlasted the front by a bit (I changed both after about 7k miles). On this set I changed the front, just barely at a wear bar, with 7500 miles on it. The rear has another 1000 I'd guess. How unusual is it to run through the front first? My first thought was I'm too hard on the front, but maybe it's simply I'm easy on the back tire. I do avoid hard acceleration and braking; aim more for smooth motion. The fronts do wear very evenly, no cupping or any other anomoly. The bike now has almost 32k miles on it.

Clive Liddell

Tony,

Like you I also aim for smooth motion. My RT has just turned 60000km and I have just replaced 3rd rear tire and the 4th front will go on any day now. ie. 15000km/front and 20000km/rear.

How unusual is it to run through the front first?

That seems to be the norm for pilot roads. My front is almost gone, has not worn very evenly, and the rear could go several 1000 miles more. This is the only set of tires that has worn out the front first and I haven't changed my style of riding at all.

I prefer my fronts to outlast my rears. If any tire is going to be marginal, I want it on the rear.

Back to Z6's for my next set. They don't get quite as many miles per set but I like the way they feel and wear better than the pilot roads. I do wish they had tread wear indicators in the center of the rear tread though.

Stan

Slartidbartfast

How do your normal tire pressures/loads compare with Michelin recommendations? Running a slightly higher pressure in the front tire might reduce wear-rate sufficiently to balance with the rear.

Tony,

Have you adjusted your suspension or changed your riding style? I began riding a year ago and as I learn to use the front tire better, I'm wearing it out quicker. the first front lasted 12k miles and wasn't really totally gone when I put a new one on. My rears are lasting less. The first one lasted about 6k and the second one about 8k. I think the difference is learning to downshift smoother. I think the hardest thing on rear tires is downshifting--especially hard downshifting. The rear tire is unweighted as you decelerate and so it tends to slide in the downshift. This really wears off the rubber and it happens especially in the middle.

It is on my list to adjust the front shock to get more weight on the front tire during corners. The rear has no chicken strip but the front has about 1/2" so I'm not using the entire tire. Of course the mileage depends a lot on where/how you ride? Does the rear wear out in the flat spot from slab miles or are you wearing it evenly in the curves? Just some things to think about. Typical engineering answer. You ask a questions and you get more questions back in response. Sorry.

I just put a set of Bridgestones on: 020's in the rear and 014 in the front. We'll see how they wear but I'm very happy with their stickum.

Good luck,

Jerry

95 RS

Archived