IGNORED

1150rt ping / oil use

windtwin

'03 rt w/ 8k on it, the fellow i got it from road fairly light. I hear a fairly regular ping in the higher rpms. was told by techs to ride it harder to reduce pre detination and rid the piston of carbon. also told to try techron additive. still pings down low too even w/ 91oct. this bike just had its 12k service which of did not stop the ping. Our mechanic is great, with a few weeks of warrenty left he pulled the pistons, cleaned it all up and installed new rings. With weather colder now, don't know if the problem still persists. QUESTION why the oil use and pinging, and how do I stop it.

The oil use should diminish as the bike's mileage increases. The pinging will go away with hi octane and hi RPMs for a prolonged period. It may not sound or feel right, but keep it in a lower gear than normal and ride it at a constant speed. If de-carboning the pistons didn't work, maybe a very detailed and accurate valve adjustment and TB synch is in order as well.

I'm curious about the new rings ... was your compression so low (with such limited mileage on the bike) that you really needed new rings? And isn't there a "break-in" period for new rings to give them the best chance to seat properly? BTW, I have 14,200 miles on my '04 RT and it's still "using" some oil (so I'm still using the regular BMW oil). No ping, but I have the dual spark plugs.

ShovelStrokeEd

Sounds to me that you have a mechianic who really knows his stuff. This business of decarboning a bike with the pistons in place is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You want to know how bad it can get, ask Laney.

You pull the pistons to decoke an engine. Period!

When you pull the pistons, you replace the rings. Period!

All the snake oil in the world ain't gonna clear the piston tops and combustion chambers of accumeulated and baked on carbon. Only a wire brush will do it.

Kudo's to your tech for doing the right thing. Now find, through the complex process that is the search engine on this site, the proper method for wearing in your new rings and you'll have a happy bike for life. Hint: +wear, +in, +Shovelstrokeed or RD Frantz.

Hint: +wear, +in, +Shovelstrokeed or RD Frantz.

grin.gifgrin.gif "When ever you want 100% correct, unbiased and politely presented information about care&feeding of oilhead BMW's, go a do a search +your_question, +Shovelstrokeed" tongue.gifclap.gifclap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Thanks for your kind words, but, I ain't the only one nor am I even correct all the time.

The collective wisdom on this site and the willingness of those in possession to share is something really special. I learn something new here every day and its why I keep coming back.

clap.gifclap.gif

Don't mention it.

But true, as a source of information and entertainmet (do they call that "edutainment"?) this board is unbeatable. Mostly thanks to bunch of seasoned long time contributors like you Ed. thumbsup.gif

--

Mikko

Archived