IGNORED

R1150RT Radio questions

Nick1150

ok So I bought the dream bike, made almost 1000 kms with it. Very happy thumbsup.gif

When posting 1 month ago about your opinion for the RT, many here argue about the dislike of the bmw radio in general and espesially above 40mph, which is 100% understood by me, but nevertheless I would like to install one. dopeslap.gif

Just for your info my commuting constits of 35kms, 25 of them are high-way riding and the rest 10 country road with speed less than 60 kph. So I guest I want to install it after all.

My RT is prepared for radio, which means that it has already speakers, antenna, and all cables in between (2 adaptors await on the left "glove box" to be connected in the blaukpunt bmw radio). So my questions are the following:

1. Given the preparation of my RT what kind of hardware do I need (I am guesting the radio, handlebar remote and the small indash LCD monitor?)

2. Does the original bmw radio switchs on and off from the handlebar or you have to open the left locked glove box to do that? Does the handlebar remote has a program memory switch, you have to seek everytime the radio station you want? If 2 above questions have negative answers, I most probably would prefer an ordinary radio-CD, preferably SONY with a marine remote (you know the one installed in boats). Has anyone, installed one?

Thank you in advance

Does the original bmw radio switchs on and off from the handlebar or you have to open the left locked glove box to do that? Does the handlebar remote has a program memory switch, you have to seek everytime the radio station you want? If 2 above questions have negative answers, I most probably would prefer an ordinary radio-CD, preferably SONY with a marine remote (you know the one installed in boats). Has anyone, installed one?
Well we'll still probably try to talk you out of it. wink.gif But if you must, yes the OEM system has a handlebar mounted control which lets you turn it on and off and toggle between all your radio's preset stations.

Ken. I have found that the handlebar switches will only let you mute the sound, not turn it off. Turn the key switch all the way to the lock handlebar position to turn off the radio. thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

I have the OEM radio in my '04 RT ... the on/off switch is on the radio itself (and yes, it's a pain to open the box with the key to turn it on/off). It will shut off if you turn ignition switch all the way left (which locks the fork). There are two OEM handle bar controls: 1) the four-position round button (up/down) adjusts volume and (left/right) seeks preset stations which must be pre-set in the radio, 2) the smaller rectangular button to the left of the round one is a mute button which mutes the music, or if depressed for 2 or 3 seconds, will toggle between music sources (radio or cassette player.) BTW, I play my iPod through the cassette player with a cassette adapter and an iClick remote mounted to the left handlebar reservoir -- works just fine. thumbsup.gif

The OEM radio remote for the 1150 has two serious flaws:

1. You can't turn the radio on or off.

2. You can't switch from FM to AM.

What were they thinking?

The OEM radio remote for the 1150 has two serious flaws:

TWO? How about adding to that not being able to manually search for a station? Using the search function only locks onto the strongest stations.

Example is taking a distance ride and while using a iPod with an iTunes (lets you listen to the iPod wireless on a blank FM station). You set the iPod and BMW radio to 88.1FM As you ride along you go to an area that has a strong station on 88.1, you can change the iPod to transmit from 88.1 to 88.5, you can not on the fly change the BMW radio. You must stop and open up the radio cover to change the station. There were other issues that I forgot now but I went with a Sony CDX-MP70.

Al hom,

My understanding is to buy a sony CD/MP3 compatible with the marine remote your are saying. That will do the job. Everything needed is there. On/off switch, display of FM/AM/CD/MP3 and volume up/down is there. But there is one problem. Can you please explain me where you have installed the remote? I guest it doesn't fit on the handlebar. So the next solution is to drill the left fairing?? My heart is already pumping, even with that thought !! confused.gif Or maybe somewhere else ??

Thanks in advance

Really apreciate

Nick,

I have a pioneer radio/mp3 disk player that i installed on my 02 RT. See the attachment for one idea that worked for me. I have a machine shop so I could make a aluminum base to mount the remote on.

Let me know what you come up with.

Good luck,

Joe

588904-pioneerwiredremote002(Small).jpg.88466bc44076e20829c788b853e90379.jpg

But there is one problem. Can you please explain me where you have installed the remote?

I installed the remote on the left face of the fairing. The way I look at it the remote is water resistant not water PROOF, mounted on the face of the dash protects it a little more from the weather.

589273-MVC-005F.JPG.f23a459fac391ddfcbb45281cb19528b.JPG

But there is one problem. Can you please explain me where you have installed the remote?

I installed the remote on the left face of the fairing. The way I look at it the remote is water resistant not water PROOF, mounted on the face of the dash protects it a little more from the weather.

sony1634%20%20.JPG [/img] sony1625%20.JPG

This layout has worked Quite well I hook uo my ipod to the remote imput and also have a headphone hooked up to the rear channel.

I had a Jensen MP3/AM/FM in my RT, but the compartment got it so hot without ventilation that the unit would shut down after a few minutes. I guess the factory unit has better components. There is no way for heat to escape from the compartment. FYI

Chris

Interesting pics.

Thanks guys.

Chugger thumbsup.gif Can you please advise, is it an aftermarket handlebar accessory or personal aptent?

Has anyone installed one on the left side of the fairing near the radio locker? (Near the riders left knee to make it simpler)

I have to say that I do like the Sony LCD display that Chugger posted. One of the minor draw backs to the pioneer system is that I don't know what station i'm listening to.

Joe

Archived