IGNORED

Autocom, new product range for 2006

Ebbo

Autocom have a half page spread in the UK Motorcycle News advertising an end of season, half price sale of kits 1,3 & 6. Apparently, this is prior to the launch of a new range of Autocom units for 2006, I wonder if the new range will be wireless Bluetooth?

Autocom have a half page spread in the UK Motorcycle News advertising an end of season, half price sale of kits 1,3 & 6. Apparently, this is prior to the launch of a new range of Autocom units for 2006, I wonder if the new range will be wireless Bluetooth?

The issue of the half-price sale has already been covered elsewhere in another thread. However, as to BlueTooth, the technology for wireless is already there. What isn't there is sufficient battery capacity in a small enough size.

A small battery or battery pack might power a headset for intercom use, where you're speaking 5% of the time. It could also be used to transmit the odd radar detector warning and even sporadic GPS audio. Autocom already has BlueTooth phone capability. However, the problem lies with music. Music connected to BlueTooth technology would transmit constantly. And current battery technology just isn't there to provide the amount of power needed, for as long as it is needed. Not unless you wanted to carry a supply of pre-charged batteries and stop to change them every hour.

I "get" the desire for wireless. What I don't get is everyone uttering the word "BlueTooth" as if it was some sort of panacea, some technological wonder that runs on air and simultaneously cleans the environment. It isn't. It's Marconi taken to the 21st century. But it still requires power to operate. Lots of it.

Given all this, if you wanted to you might be able to carry a battery pack on your person, and connect your headset to the pack. You would then be wireless from the bike and able to move about with without connecting/disconnecting a cable. However, you would still be connected by cable to the battery pack itself.

Martin

Please take another look and you will see that it is in fact a FULL page advert and you should know by now that we don’t do things by half at Autocom!

Fernando

I am impressed with your understanding and explanation of this subject. THANKS!

I can however confirm that our new 2006 products will……. Sor y I’ve got to g and find anot er pen!

Please take another look and you will see that it is in fact a FULL page advert and you should know by now that we don’t do things by half at Autocom!

Tom, I’ve got that ‘4 am’ feeling again

And I suppose you’ve paid your staff silence money at the NEC bike show too frown.gif

I can however confirm that our new 2006 products will……. Sor y I’ve got to g and find anot er pen!

Tom, you terrible tease!

Archived