IGNORED

09 K1300S: gelled brake fluid?

schumacher62

my bike has 10,000 miles and was purched in june of 09. during a recent high altitude ride i noticed what seemed to be air bubbles in the front fluid reservoir. on closer inspection, it seems the front brake reservoir is full of gel. its got small bubbles all through it, and i have not opened the reservoir to inspect it more closely.

the brakes seem to work find, though i am a bit panicked about the system running a gelled fluid, if it is indeed gelled. my dealer, where i have service done, did not change the fluid at the 6K service interval, and i want to believe the fluid is good for two years before its first change.

should i be riding this bike at all, and what are the repercussions of changing the fluid now? has any damage been done and though i think i know the answer, should i get the fluid checked and changed immediately?

thanks in advance,

paul

a sponge. possibly mistaking that, yes. i noticed the problem by seeing a foam of bubbles at the top of the reservoir, but ill take a closer look at the sponge. the reservoir is not clear, but olive oil colored so its a bit difficult to see in there clearly. opening the reservoir would answer the question, but i am hesitant to do that. ill get a flashlight and have a better look. thanks for the info!

Changing the fluid would not be a problem if it's done properly.

Yearly is OK although on some models BMW says every 2 years.

Some bikes came with the fluid quite dark, My 800ST rear reservoir was very dark. After having both front and rear brakes done by the dealer the reservoirs have darkened a bit with time.

The sponge on yours may have been in answer to some foaming that was experienced because of the flexible stand-off they mounted the reservoir on. Shook itself silly.

thank you all for the comments. ill have the fluid changed at the 12k service, which will be at around 18 months. thanks again!

Archived