IGNORED

Schuberth C2

jimswms

I'm considering a flip up helmet and this one is at the top of my list. I'm hesitant though.. I had a S1 that I loved except for the weight. It fit perfect. The finish was great. Tons of features etc. I really want the C2 to work. The S1 was heavy and I felt it in my neck and lower back so I sold it.

Now, that said, the C2 is around the same weight on paper, but, it is supposed to be better balanced and wear better, to the point that the weight is alot less noticeable. I'm wondering if anyone has any comment on comparing the two, and your feelings. Or, if you have one and the reasons you love it/hate it. I've never had a flip up helmet, so, any comments regarding those would be helpful as well.

Oh, and who has the best price on the C2 these days??

Thanks,

Jim

Weight of Schuberth S1 1.525kg, C2 1.710kg, BMW System 5 1.690kg. Thay are both top helmets, with the S1 rated above the Arai RX7 Corsair in a recent German comparison.

I recently bought a Schuberth C-2 and have put about 500 miles on it. So far so good. I had been using a Nolan flip front that was more than 6 years and was getting tired. I was looking for another Nolan, but I couldn’t find anyone in the Dallas area that stocked them, they all said that they could get them but I really wanted to size it correctly. I liked the latch on the helmet, as it’s simpler that D-rings for my fingers. During my search for a helmet I asked the dealers (about 10) why they didn’t stock Nolans. The overwhelming response was that Nolan doesn’t take care of their problems, and tends to disappear when there are problems. The same was said about Aria, and to some degree that came out in a thread last week. The dealer that I got the Schuberth from said the amount of problems that he saw with the Schuberth was very, very small and with the scratch resistant shields he had replaced only 7 of them in 2 years. I digress.

I’ve used flip fronts for years so I have a feeling for the helmets. I find the convenience with glasses and having the ability to expose your face (kids do scream though) for more air when you’re not riding to be such a plus.

The Schuberth is heavier than other helmets and the weight is noticeable with the chin bar all the way up. It does pull on my neck when it’s up, but the time that it is in the up position is typically not a long interval and ultimately wasn’t a problem. With the chin bar in the normal position I didn’t notice anything abnormal and didn’t notice the weight one way or another. The visibility is better than with my Nolan, and there appears to be more facial room. The enclosures around the chin and neck worked well and kept the air out and thus noise in that area to a minimum. The C-2 also allows you to pull the face shield forward 1/8 inch to allow for more air circulation. That seems to be a cool thing, but I found that it created a rumble in the helmet. I went back to opening the shield one click and that seemed to work well to minimize the noise and increased the circulation.

The internal sun visor is very nice and does have good functionality. Some have said that it is a gimmick, but that’s what was said about the BMW electric windshield! The optics of the sun visor was fine for me. I have used the visor during the day and found that it was an asset when I didn’t have my sunglasses on. This morning I was heading due east looking into the sun with sunglasses on. I lowered the shade half way and it really helped with the glare.

Overall I like the Schuberth, it fit my head well, is comfortable, very well made, has a removable liner, the chin bar latch mechanism works effortlessly and locks (visibly) positively in place, parts and support seem to be available, and is somewhat quiet. Like all helmets you do need ear plugs. Schuberth is very proud of their helmets as witnessed by the price.

If you’re putting speakers in the helmet it’s not as straight forward as other helmets, as the cheek pads have a nice liner that is difficult to remove without harming it. You will need a T-9 torx, and a 2.5 mm hex for the screws on the side to remove the chin bar.

I bought a C2 and have about 3500 miles on it now. It replaces an older Schuberth I had for a long time! The venting works well as it wasn't too hot in the days where I rode in the higher temps. The sun visor works as advertised but, does come with a price. This helmut is huge and barely fits in a saddlebag with largest lids and even a tight fit in the GIVI. The shell is quite a bit larger than my old Schuberth, likely to allow room for the visor. All the rest you might have read about the helmet in magazines applies. It works OK for me.

Archived