IGNORED

Oilhead blunder????

outpost22

I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago. I was careful to only fill to the middle of the site glass when adding the new oil. After several rides I notice that the oil level is always about 1/8" below the very top of the site glass. I can see a void at the top of the glass, but not much. Is this too much oil? Is there an easy way to drain a little bit of oil without loosening the drain plug and making a mess if this is necessary to do? crazy.gif

Thanks

So that you are on the right track and feel that you are not a complete dummy, check out this website for additional information about changing, checking and oil types. A wealth of information.

As noted, you did nothing wrong. Rather than repeat it here, read about it in the past discussions.

Go ahead and ride your bike, both of you will enjoy it.

Despite exact measurement of how much oil I fill, my sight glass almost always shows overfill. So, I know that the sight glass is only an indicator, and not an exact measurement. You will find a lot of discussion on this site about oil level. As others have replied, RIDE and forget about it.

The dot is the 'aim for' point but as long as the oil is not above the top of the sight glass then you are OK. I have learned to only fill to the bottom of the sight glass after an oil change as the level always shows considerably higher after the first ride.

The dot is the 'aim for' point

BRILLIANT !!!

smiller, you've distilled discussion down to seven words; thus denying obsessive compulsives another member.

BRILLIANT !!!

Wooster who aims for the dot

It's great that you care! It's a beautiful machine and it's pretty forgiving...don't worry at all if you can see some daylight...BTW, you have a fantastic dealer in Medford...Hanson's. Craig, the owner and his son Mason are fine folks and will go out of their way to explain anything you need help with.

Have fun, fun, fun on your RT...

BTW, you have a fantastic dealer in Medford...Hanson's. Craig, the owner and his son Mason are fine folks and will go out of their way to explain anything you need help with.

Have fun, fun, fun on your RT...

Thanks. I bought the bike from Craig and have been in that shop for years. I used to race KTM's.

I was heading down to Mount Shasta, and had an "emergency twinge" about the oil level. Thanks to this board, I felt at ease about the oil.

Originally I was looking at Ducs that Craig also sells, but decided the RT is definitely more of the bike for my use. Maybe later the Duc will be a possibility. thumbsup.gif

Archived