IGNORED

Can I add armor to my leather jacket?

Husker Red

I have a Z1R vented leather jacket I really like, but I would like to add armor to it. There are no pockets for armor now. It does have a mesh liner attached to the inside of the leather.

Any suggestions?

Mike

An experienced clothing maker should be able to put armour in for you. Before you get it done, you'll need to ensure that the shape of the jacket will not allow the armour to move during a fall.

Dainese sells armor you can wear. So does ICON. So do a lot of other brands. I would recommend you go that route. It also gives you the ability to wear the jacket off the bike without removing the armor.

How much room is there under the jacket now?

The jacket is loose enough that I could put armor in it and it should still fit well. I want to use it as my commuter jacket - put it on over my shirt and tie and away I go.

I saw the loose armor that can be added to the pre-made armor pockets, but my jacket doesn't have those. Perhaps a tailor could add them? Probably would be cheaper just to get another jacket.

Thanks for the replys so far,

Mike

You could use an armoured mesh inner shirt such as Dianese and others make but my advice would be to use Hein Gericke Hyprotec armour which can be fitted to the lining of any clothing using a 'popper' type system. I've used it a couple of times and it works well. You can also sew it in if you wish.

Archived