IGNORED

BMW R1200ST GPS _WARNING_

BMWSTeve

Got a smokin' deal on a Garmin SPIII Colormap that I wanted to install on the ST. So after many I dunno's from a few different dealers, I ordered the full bracket kit and wiring harness from BMW.

That thing was backordered about a month and I just got it yesterday. The wires don't match my GPS but do work on my friends 2720. The brackets REQUIRE that you drill holes in the center fairing piece that wraps the gascap, and a permenant plastic blob is left attached for all to see when you are NOT running GPS. So back to the dealer it goes! What I will do is make a bracket system similar to "THE GADGET GUY" out of stainless steel or aluminum with a locking bracket from Touratech. I will still tap the BMW plug for GPS to keep constant power while stopped. I am a little dissappointed with the lack of info at the dealer level for these parts. Now I get to pay a 20% restocking fee for parts that won't work. frown.gif

Here's how I mounted my iWay(see attachement). When not in use all you see is the RAM mount ball, and I could easily pull it if I wanted. Being mounted on the bars it's a little shakie at idle, but OK off idle.

586997-IWayMount.jpg.47c2f75bc14fdebbec6de0870e12025f.jpg

Wow, That is what I been looking for! thank you.

JohnJC, Nice setup you have there. I am just too damn picky and refuse to drill anything that is exposed. I just got my mill running and bought some aluminum stock. My goal is to machine up a bracket I can bolt on in under 5 mins and a pigtail power cord that tucks out of sight when not GPSing. Thanks for showing me though.

Archived