IGNORED

Adding/Removing Fluid From the KRS/GT Rear Reservoir?

Laney

I need to fill one section of the rear mounted brake fluid reservoir, and drain excess fluid from the other. I don't see any reasonable way to get access to the cap on the smaller section, and that's the one that's empty.

The dealership told me I could pull the fluid lines off, and squirt fluid in through the port in the cap.

Does anyone know a cleaner way that doesn't leave as much chance of a brake fluid spill? Even my small hands won't fit in any way to remove those caps. Next thing is to remove parts to gain access, but which ones?

If you're wondering why one reservoir is empty and one is overfilled, so am I... I just had the brakes system flushed, and haven't ridden the bike much since getting it back. I think I've had it out twice and put maybe 100 miles on it. Yesterday morning when I started it to go to work, the ABS fault lights were flashing. Low brake fluid is definitely the likely cause, but I have concerns about how it ended up so low -- or should I say so EMPTY???

Is there a message in my never ending list of failures, and am I so dense I don't get it? dopeslap.gif

"If you're wondering why one reservoir is empty and one is overfilled, so am I... I just had the brakes system flushed, and haven't ridden the bike much since getting it back. I think I've had it out twice and put maybe 100 miles on it. Yesterday morning when I started it to go to work, the ABS fault lights were flashing. Low brake fluid is definitely the likely cause, but I have concerns about how it ended up so low -- or should I say so EMPTY???

Is there a message in my never ending list of failures, and am I so dense I don't get it?"

I'd take it back to them since this shouldn't be happening after a complete brake flush. Either they screwed up or there's something else going on that needs attention.

Laney

The small reservoir is the front brake wheel circuit. The large one is the rear control/wheel combined reservoir on ABS equipped K-bikes. I would be concerned about the front wheel reservoir being empty after only 200mi., and/or after they were worked on. Is it compleatly empty or just down a bit? I am wondering if air was allowed to get into the hose at the bottom.

As far as getting into the reservoir it is easiest to take off the seat and right rear plastic, to access the filler. You can try to squirt some brake fluid in through the vent, but remember that IS the vent you are attempting to push fluid through. It might pressurize the reservoir and spit the fluid back at you and the bike.

Bruce C frown.gif

ALthough I haven't opened the front cap yet, from what I can see the forward/small section of the reservoir is completely empty.

I'll take off the rear plastic and see what access I get -- it's no help that I have an Ohlins shock on the rear and one of its reservoirs is in the way, but moving the shock reservoir let me get the other cap off of the larger reservoir. I took 5 ccs of brake fluid from the front section of the reservoir, adn that brought it down a tiny bit below the Max line.

I wonder if somebody at the dealership had the new kid fill up the resevior, and he thought both sections were common - overfill the front and the rear will end up just right? crazy.gif

I agree that it needs to be checked, I just want to add fluid to it before riding it in. AND I'm f%#$ing sick and tired of taking this bike to one dealership or another to try and get things right the second, third, or fourth time.

Laney

Dealer overfilled the large reservoir on my K1200 at the 600mi. service. Wash off the reservoirs with brake cleaner.

Do you see anything wet near the front caliper bleed screws?

I wonder if it was just like you said. The tech thought it was the rear brake only(non-abs)?

Bruce C

ShovelStrokeEd

Sounds to me like a trip back to the dealer is in order.

How do you get so lucky?

They owe you a brake bleed. Free. While you wait. Profuse apologies wouldn't be out of line along with maybe a discount on some farkles.

Assert, assert, assert. A good tantrum in the middle of the showroom on a busy Saturday if necessary.

This is a picture of the reservoir before I touched anything. Looking at the clean cap on the larger section, and all the dirt and crap on the smaller one, I'd guess the other cap was never removed and it wasn't ever filled.

RSBrake Fluid Reservoir102805-sm.jpg

I still haven't managed to get to the second cap, but I'll bet it's dirty and hasn't been touched. I'll find out tomorrow.

Tantrum -- you think that's enough? I'm curious to know what the consequences might be if I hadn't had the ABS fault to get my attention to the lack of fluid? Could the brakes actually fail, or just get spongy from the air?

ShovelStrokeEd

I doubt they would fail. The worst that would happen is a bit of spongy action. Your bike doesn't have the power assisted brakes does it? Even if it does, I don't think the K12RS had rear to front linkage so that section might not be doing anything anyway. Maybe the control unit is the same just the software determines the linkage. I'm not sure.

As to the tantrum thing, I look at it this way. You payed for a fluid flush and brake bleed. What you got was an incomplete job with possible consequences to an important safety component of the bike. I would certainly give them an opportunity to make things right first but I'm pretty sure the volume would begin to escalate in short order if there was any waffling.

Sheesh, I believe I'd be at the dealers door requesting the paid for service be complted properly. Keep the attitude in check until you get their response. Maybe you need to find another dealer. Good luck.

I got things apart enough to check the other compartment in the resevoir. It was bone dry, and took 15ccs of brake fluid. Now if what the Service Manager told me is correct -- that the resevoir fluid level can drop after a brake flush if air burps out of the brake line -- isn't a 15cc burp mean there was (or is) a lot of air for a brake system?

I don't need a new dealer, I need a new bike. Dealing with the bits and pieces of trouble from this RS is like life when I had my 70 VW Bug for 24 years and over 250K miles. Lots of fun when everything was working right, but it required lots of attention to keep everything just so. The RS seems to demand a lot of attention just to run. I sold the Bug when I reached a point of just not wanting to work on it all the time, and I'm thinking the RS should go for the same reason.

Good thing I've got a Honda... thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Honda is being really quiet about their '06 offerings so far. They mention a new Vtec for the 800 Interceptor. If they ever release a 1000 or larger cc version they will easlily supplant the KRS as the "gentleman's express". Sorry for the non-PC designation. Gentleperson's express just doesn't have the same ring. I'm busily working on the return of my 00 VFR to service as my time with my S is limited. I crashed it 3 years ago and bought the S as a replacment. Its just been sitting in my warehouse waiting for me to get off my ass. Time has come.

Laney, just let it go. Seymour will happily handle your needs. I'm sure Sock Monkey will be appalled but, he'll get over it after a little time. They can be vindictive but seem to have very little long term memory.

Quick assessment:

-Tech didn't know what the heck he was doing; he/she bled your front wheel circuits without replenishing the reservoir (your picture with the dirt confirms it).

-Yes, your brakes COULD have swallowed air, which means you didn't have full braking power if needed, and your pump could have burned.

-Now, you need to fill your front wheel circuit from the calipers to the reservoir, then bleed again normally. Sounds more complicated than it really is; just buy a piece of clear silicon tubing (like the one on your battery) and do it with a syringe. Attend one of the many tech dazes on this DB; you seem to know many folks. Good luck, and DON'T BLAME THE BIKE dopeslap.gif. Just learn how to do your own services; you'll have the same dealer experiences with ANY brand. Good day.

Archived