IGNORED

Engine running while on it's side - damage?

Limecreek

Actually I do not or I wouldn't be asking. My '08KGT has a very shallow sump and an oil tank that sits above the engine. My hope is the oil continued to flow and circulate to the crank and cams.

It took me about 30 seconds to get to my feet and over to the bike to shut her down.

Left side.

What I don't know about this bike is how the oil circulates. Does it flow from the tank to the engine or to the sump and then circulate to the crank and cams?

From a BMW KGT training manual:

"...The oil pump is driven via a chain from the

clutch. From there, the oil is passed through

the oil cooler to the oil tank that is located

beneath the seat. The pressure stage of the

oil pump is supplied from the oil tank....."

I think the motor will be ok based on the circulation path.

Other opinions?

Sounds to me lime it is fine based on your quote from the engineering toilet paper book.

You ok? Rest of the bike? And where is the story of this sleeping bike?

Calvin  (no socks)

Bro Lime, sorry for the fall.... It isn't a GS. :grin:

Haven't had mine over on the Right side... Left side no problem, 25k since..at idle..10 seconds...

Bro Lime, sorry for the fall.... It isn't a GS. :grin:

Haven't had mine over on the Right side... Left side no problem, 25k since..at idle..10 seconds...

Oh, but there was a GS involved, too... :wave:

The short story: Low water crossing, slime, me go boom, $6K to $8K of damage, me fine.

Dang Lime, I can name that spot in one guess!

It wasn't the one that bit you, but one just like it.

I've ridden across hundreds of low water crossing and from time to time I get a wiggle or a slow slide of the rear tire. This time without warning I was sliding on my ass watching my bike do a slow spin up the incline in front of me.

Shit does happen.

Progressive and I discuss the damage to my wallet on Friday of this week.

The particular spot where Lime fell is notoriously bad, so much so that the folks who live right by the little concrete creek crossing have hand-lettered sign warning motorcyclists. Us local chickens have been over the spot many times without a fall. I can understand Lime falling on his K...we've had a lot of rain recently, followed by hot days, creating a perfect environment for slime growth...but there's just no excuse for a GSA going down right behind him. None at all. Rider error is the only explanation. :wave:

• 5 weeks later...

My GPS tried to send me across one of these once in Texas, my wife refused so I turned around, not without a lot of grunting/pushing and shoving the big K12GT.

Guess I made the right decision for once. :wave:

Archived