IGNORED

Tires for 1998 R1100RT?

cberghoff

I've been runing Metzler's and it's time for new tires. I like both distance riding (quiet and smooth) and agressive twisties (sticky). Any suggestions on what tires I might look at this time around?

I've had Bridgestone 020's, Michelin Pilot Roads and Metzeler Z6's on my RT and like the Z6's best of all. They feel more stable and "planted" to me and are excellent in the rain. Better/more aggressive riders, seem to favor the Pilot Roads. Think you'll find that tires, like oil etc., are largely a matter of religion, not science. Lot's of variables, very subjective...

I've been runing Metzler's and it's time for new tires. I like both distance riding (quiet and smooth) and agressive twisties (sticky). Any suggestions on what tires I might look at this time around?

Use Pirelli Match's good grip, stability and quick steering. As far as I'm aware, radials weren't fitted as standard.

Use Pirelli Match's good grip, stability and quick steering. As far as I'm aware, radials weren't fitted as standard.

All the officially recomended tires for the R1100RT are radials.

I have to cast my vote for the Z6's as well. I have them on my 98 RT as well as my 02 RRS and can't find a thing wrong with them. 2nd set on the RRS and first set on the RT and I have to say the RT is a better bike for them.

I'm on my 2nd 2000 R1100RT (1st one got totaled) Bridgestone BT54's were OEM. Decent tire, but rather old-tech by now. (BT020 meant to be replacement.) I'd average 9-10K for mileage, with front tire needing replacement 1st.

Currently running Dunlop D205's on R1100RT and R1100S. Another older tech tire. With the 'S' I can get rear end to step out coming out of 45mph hairpins by having revs up in 2nd and nailing it hard. Otherwise no traction problems. No problems or complaints with D205 on RT, mileage same as BT54. Dunlop D220 meant to replace D205.

But I think there are better tires out there. I've heard several good reports on Michelin Pilot Road, and I may try this tire on RT.

I'm somewhat skeptical of front tires with center groove pattern. I ran Bridgestone BT020's on my VFR800, and my Moto Guzzi V11 Sport. Noticed on both bikes marked tendency to follow grooves in road, esp. rain grooves.

Seems funny to me that Continental hasn't maintained prominence in m/c tire market.

Having that *&%$# 18" rear wheel really limits our choices for RT. Try to avoid tires with brand names like "Cheng Shin" or "MayPop". blush.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Although I use Michelin Pilot Roads presently, I have used Michelin Macadam 90x & 100x, Metzler Z4 & Z6 and Avon Azaros.

Without hesitation the stickiest tire in dry conditions are the Avons. I did a very successful track day with them along with some serious twisty roads. My experience with them in the wet is less than flattering and I would not get them as my year round commuting tire.

The highest mileage tire is, again, the Avons. I rolled 15,000 on the front and 17,000+ on the rear. Amazing, yes. I don't baby the RT, regularly go over 100 mph and commute in all weather. I often explore gravel or dirt roads. I don't check my tire pressure as often as is recommended. I share my riding conditions with you as environment does affect tire life.

I have found that the Pilot Roads offer the best compromise for me in all weather conditions.

I am currently running the Pilot Roads and they seem to be an excellent compromise. I have just under 10k on the set and they still have a little tread left but they are starting to get annoying - tracking along seams, rough ride, squared off, etc. I have ridden this set pretty hard - two long high speed trips, some commuting and a fair amount of twisties. They definitely stick well, even when grinding metal.

That said I am considering the Metzeler 880's for the next set to see if I can get 12k. They supposedly have a bit more longevity. They all seem to have plenty of grip compared to tires of 10-20 years back.

I've run ME Z1, Z2, and Z4, Pirelli 03 and 04's, Dunlop 204, 205, 207 and 208, and GP's on my oilheads. My preference is still the 205's for all around use. Just got another set from Motorcycle Accessory warehouse.

mikefigielski

I really like the Avons and they seem fine in the rain, although we don't get Seattle type rain here in NJ. I got better mileage from the Avons (approx 7500miles) than the Metzelers or Dunlops I tried (no better than 6K miles). Not sure if I am hard ontires or the road surfaces I ride on are more abrasive, but I can't see ever getting over 10K from my tires, and this is on a lighter R11RS??? Avon makes a new "B" version of their front tire which is supposed to resist cupping better, if you go for Avons, make sure to get that one. Can't argue with the grip and the mileage is good.

Mike

Archived