IGNORED

Rear shock replaced for the second time.

rideaway

Well at least it failed again while still under warranty. The last one was a year ago August. There was some question as to if me pulling a trailer with the bike has been hard on the rear shock. I pointed out that I am only 160, my wife 120 and the trailer not more than 30lbs. tongue weight. What do others think about pulling a trailer affecting the rear shock. This was an ESA shock, failed electronically. No leakage, motor not turning when power connected directly to the unit. The price of the shock alone was $2744, so I will not be replacing it when not under warranty.

Trailer is irrelevant.

One thing I always do is adjust for the load I plan on carrying before load g the bike.

That is what I have tried to do also, figure it's easier on it not to be lifting all that weight, but it still failed.

CoarsegoldKid

Was it not allowing you to adjust the spring preload? If so it may not actually be a defective shock or motor. A friend had this issue and several shocks and the controller computer were changed out under warranty. On the last "bad" shock it was discovered at the shop that the jam nut or locking nut was locking up the system preventing the motor from doing its job. Once the nut was loosened up all worked according to plan. I have never looked at this system to see for myself if this is plausible. I know it sounds simple and why didn't they find the problem the first time you will ask? Why indeed. All I can say is these new fangled systems take some out of the box thinking sometimes.

Was it not allowing you to adjust the spring preload? If so it may not actually be a defective shock or motor. A friend had this issue and several shocks and the controller computer were changed out under warranty. On the last "bad" shock it was discovered at the shop that the jam nut or locking nut was locking up the system preventing the motor from doing its job. Once the nut was loosened up all worked according to plan. I have never looked at this system to see for myself if this is plausible. I know it sounds simple and why didn't they find the problem the first time you will ask? Why indeed. All I can say is these new fangled systems take some out of the box thinking sometimes.

The last test they did before ordering the new shock was to put power directly to the shock motor and confirmed the motor was not turning. Hope it doesn't happen again out of warranty. Maybe I should have a look at it, I seem to be better at trouble shooting than them. They gave it back to me at one point saying it worked now, well that's what the computer said, but in reality there was no movement in the suspension. But they did treat me well and brought in the shock overnight so that they could install it the next day as I was over 500km. from home. They have only done one other rear shock, so didn't have all that much experience with them.

Archived