IGNORED

I Found My Boots--Chippewa Rallies

RockBottom

Since I started riding about two and half years ago, I've become a shameless gear whore. My glove collection is now in double digits and I have nearly that many jackets. My boot quest has been particularly vexing as I kept searching for the perfect all-around one for my needs.

I have everything from a pair of Harley ones (bad mistake, but the first thing I bought), some Carolina engineer boots, a couple of pairs of Xelements, and a range of European ones--BMW, TCX, and Gaerne.

I eventually realized that I did not like anything waterproof. I'm very sensitive to heat build up and I find all waterproof ones hot. I don't ride in rain that much and am satisfied to just pull on boot covers when I do. I did not want ones made in China, focusing on Italian and American ones. I didn't want sport style, but something relatively conservative in styling.

I finally honed in on Aerostich Combat Lites and Chippewa Rallies. I know the 'stiches are great but since I could get the Rallies for more than $100 less, I went that way.

They arrived today and I think I finally hit paydirt. They are comfortable (although a bit stiff at this point). They are plain, lined leather with shifter pads. They are made in the U.S. They can be re-soled. They come in multiple widths and half sizes. And I like the look. I know they are usually associated with cruiser riders, but the style will go just fine with a BMW. My only concern is with the longevity of the velcro closure.

All in all, I heartily recommend giving these a serious look even though they aren't normally something that BMW folks consider.

I have the Chippewa boots and like them very much. They are my favorite Sunday ride boots if rain is not in the forecast. For traveling it better be waterproof.

It's just a peculiarity of mine about being sensitive to anything that doesn't breath. . I can't even wear artificial fiber pants, whether riding pants or dress pants. I suspect these boots would be OK for a while in the rain once I treat them with Peccards. Other than that, I always have my covers.

I have a pair of Chippewas and Combat lites. With a good "Grizzly Grease" treatment, they both are waterproof for most rain, especially on an RT.

I have had my Chippewas for more than 10 years.

The Velcro closures on the lower boot is the weak link. They have been replaced about 3 yrs. ago.

Otherwise a fine boot. They will get a little softer with time and treatment. I do not pack walking shoes for trips.

Karl

Local repair. Not expensive as it was the Velcro on the lower straps. The Velcro on the upper part of the boot still works just fine.

I might add that the boot fit is enhanced by that Velcro

Archived