IGNORED

If my new RT falls over...

dyvking

What will be the contact points? My LT had those great tip-over bars so that only the they and the two wheels contacted the ground if (ie, WHEN) it decided to lay down and take a nap.

But, my new R12RT looks like it's going to just bust plastic if that happens. Hopefully no one has actual up-close-and-personal experience with this, but maybe one of you knows what the contact points are.

Am I going to need engine bars? eek.gif

TIA..

Mine fell over at a gas station two weeks ago, the plastic head guard and the lower edge of the left pannier were all that touched. I'm pleased I put the head guards on two days earlier.

I have considerably more experience with this than I can admit without blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Yup, in a simple tip over the contact points will be the lower edge of the saddlebag (on the painted part) and the engine guards, which are a must on this bike if you have now or have ever had a tendency to klutzishness.

If you fall over while moving, be prepared to replace the large forward-mounted frame piece that holds the instrument panel, windshield, and mirrors, along with whatever other plasitc bites it. That frame part bends all too easily. It's $600, not including install. Ouch.

There's a whole bunch of us in the "I dropped my new RT club'. I've dropped mine twice now and thankful for the engine guards. The last one I actually scrapped the side of the left pannier but it adds character to the bike as all of us has done or will do it...

What will be the contact points? Hopefully no one has actual up-close-and-personal experience with this, but maybe one of you knows what the contact points are.

Am I going to need engine bars? eek.gif

Thanks for the info, guys! Head guards, comin' up!

Mine fell over at a gas station two weeks ago, the plastic head guard and the lower edge of the left pannier were all that touched. I'm pleased I put the head guards on two days earlier.

I picked up my engine guards today, and it looks like I'll have to remove the lower fairing piece to get at the rear bolts. Are there any 'heads ups" or "gotchas" for that? I've already taken the big side pieces off once. no problems there.

HI Walt- The engine guards on the Hex Heads fit better than on the Oil Heads. If you remove the panels with the emblem,remove the fastners from the lower panels it easy to install the guards. (be carfull with the coils). Leon

HI Walt- The engine guards on the Hex Heads fit better than on the Oil Heads. If you remove the panels with the emblem,remove the fastners from the lower panels it easy to install the guards. (be carfull with the coils). Leon

I'm on it Leon. Thanks. The left side is do-able without removing any fairing bits, but the right jug sits a little farther back and is too close to the lower fairing to get in there with any tools.

Archived