IGNORED

Valve / seat wear on '09 R1200 engine

stevent

I just had the 600 mile service done on my new '09 GS and got to talking with the service writer. Since I planned on doing my own work I was asking about the valves and whether they kept their settings, his reply was that they usually needed an adjustment each time. From my past experience with everything from early K bikes to 4 cylinder Triumph & Suzuki engines once the valves are past the initial service there's very little need for further adjustments, definitely not at 6k intervals with unleaded gas and modern materials.

At any rate I was curious if the guy was just toeing the corporate line which would be perfectly understandable, or does BMW use soft seats and or valves that actually do need adjusting?................ :S

That was the service writers way of tell you to keep his salary safe. I had a friend who never checked the valves on his K100EML rig in 100+k miles. Old Air Head Twins, pre 1980, got valve recession. On the other foot, you may want to dealer it during the warranty period.

This 'NEW' 09 GS, new to you or new-old-stock?

Afternoon Steve

The 1200 hexhead valves can go either way or stay the same.

Mostly they tighten up with miles due to slight valve recession but not always. Even then usually only one or two valves in the bunch.

My present 1200 has one exhaust valve that tightens about .001” over 6-8K the rest seem to stay pretty well as set as last time.

My brothers 1200 (that he beats on pretty hard) has one intake on one side and one exhaust valve on the other side tighten slightly over 6+K.

My friends 1200 that he uses lightly and at moderate RPM’s seems to have stayed put thorough the last 30K since the 6K adjustment.

You just never know UNTIL you get enough miles on the bike and see no movement over a couple of adjustment periods.

I usually set my BMW boxers like all the other motorcycles I own & that is to the loose side. Usually about +.001”. That way if they tighten up and I don’t get the adjustment check done on time no problems. In fact I set the shim on buckets to usually the very high side of spec as that way I don’t have the remove the cams so often, sometimes that can be +.002” or even +.003” over nominal.

On your BMW boxer it only take s few minutes to check the valve settings so why not try to keep to the 6K check schedule. Just do them at the closest oil change period to the 6K check. Once you have determined a pattern then you can answer your question above.

Thanks guys. It's a brand new bike, a left over '09 they had tucked away in the corner with 7 miles on it and discounted a few bucks. I'm of two minds about the servicing, on the one hand I hate to pay for work I can do myself but then it is under warranty ........

I guess I'll take it in the first couple of times anyway until I get a good feel for the bike. $350 +/- a couple of times a years isn't too bad a bite and it's an excuse to skip work and hang around a bike shop for a few hours. Thanks for your responses, so far at a little over 1k miles the bikes been more fun that a pillow case full of puppies!...... :clap:

My '05 RT has about 42K miles on it. I have adjusted the valves myself over the last 30K (5 times). Each time, one intake and one exhaust valve was ever so slightly tight.. I just loosened them up to the correct spec.. Nothing serious.. But, There hasn't been one check that I didn't adjust something. So, I don't believe the service writer is giving you a line. Now, the throttle bodies have never been touched. I have checked them twice and the bike runs like a champ...

Check with the dealer when you schedule service, mine gives me a loaner even with the 6K service. I get to go play for a few hours on something different, I just refill the tank before turning it back in.

Thanks guys. It's a brand new bike, a left over '09 they had tucked away in the corner with 7 miles on it and discounted a few bucks. I'm of two minds about the servicing, on the one hand I hate to pay for work I can do myself but then it is under warranty ........

I guess I'll take it in the first couple of times anyway until I get a good feel for the bike. $350 +/- a couple of times a years isn't too bad a bite and it's an excuse to skip work and hang around a bike shop for a few hours. Thanks for your responses, so far at a little over 1k miles the bikes been more fun that a pillow case full of puppies!...... :clap:

Lots of us do our own maintenance. Watch for Tech Daze in the Ride and Events Forum, or ask if there is anyone in your area that will show you how. We're a pretty friendly group and your chances of success are high.

The service is easy. You save a lot of money. You know it was done right (the biggest issue for me).

Also consider the Jim VonBaden DVDs. Linky

US law allows you to do your own maintenance. BMW would need to prove you damaged something to give you grief with the warranty. Use oil that is within the recommended specification, use an OEM oil filter, keep records of receipts for supplies and a log of what you've done. You won't have any issues with warranty.

Thanks Twisties, I read the tech help section on here, it all looks pretty straight forward. I already sourced a coil/cap puller and the nice fat handle feeler gauges. I'll just play it by ear for now. As a general rule I do my own work so I don't feel intimidated by the prospect. I'll check into the DVD's, looks like a pretty good investment.

What might the shim diameter be on these engines ? I'd like to know so I can stock the proper ones for servicing. Thanks---Ken

Hi Ken

The shim diameter is unique to the BMW 1200 camhead, the shims are actually spherical so aren’t common with other motorcycles. The diameter on the shims is the same for all camhead shims only the height varies.

You really won’t know what you need until you do your first adjustment. At that time you can at least get a base size on the ones you replace. Then as time goes on you can get a basis for all the valves.

It probably won’t be too long before we start a shim bank on this or other BMW sites. That is being done on some KLR tec web sites for KLR shims with great success. You trade your old for the size you need.

Afternoon Jerry

Good point.

The shim talk is based on stevent asking about what shims to stock. Actually he didn’t mention any year of motorcycle in the post I responded to .

He was talking SHIMS and we are in the hexhead/camhead forum so must be talking about the camhead.

I guess I should have asked what bike he was talking about.

Archived