IGNORED

home maintenance

smooth cruise

smooth cruise

Hi

I'm new to this forum and new to the Rt1200 I've had it a week and put 1000 miles on it. I had the first service done.

I would like to do my own maintenance at some point once I get over the intimidation factor.

But it seems like alot has to be done at the dealer I looked at at maintenance schedule for the 6k service things like:

Function test, engine start suppression

Checking synchronisation

I havn't got a clue what that means

Where could I get an education on how to maintain my own bike?

I have 2011 rt thanks for any help or suggestions

Watch the Ride and Event Planning forum for a TechDaze near you. If you don't see one, consider scheduling one. You don't say where you are, but there are a couple being planned right now. Typically at least two-three in all the major geographic regions of the US each year.

Also consider the Jim VonBaden DVDs. http://www.jimvonbaden.com/

I don't know if he has covered the Camheads yet.

CoarsegoldKid
If you fill out your data and tell us where you are located at would help.

And 5 miles SSE of KAJO means what actually.

engine start suppression

I read that to mean see if the engine starts with the kill switch moved left or right, or when the tranny in gear.

Myself and Bill246 are doing our 12K's at my place this saturday. Another fellow "ryan " will be in attendance as well. We are all going to learn from each other. I have the videos and they are great. Otherwise the bike is very accessable (sp?) except for the air filter which is under the gas tank. That looks a little tougher only because we have to remove so much plastic. Otherwise easy.

Miguel

And welcome. your going to love the bike

And 5 miles SSE of KAJO means what actually.

That is easy!!

It means the 2 storey home at the end of the street in Corona, CA.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner.

Dave

Given the lack of BMW experience you have, as long as the bike is under warranty, I would take it to your BMW dealer. BMW doesn't need much to deny a warranty claim.

Oil changes, maybe, but anything else and I would say take it to a dealer.

Jerry , I disagree.

Doing basic maintenance is a learned skill.

All motorcycle owners should have basic knowledge how to get to and replace regular wear items.

There is plenty help or should I say self help available in forms of books and DVDs specific for each brand of MCs.

Even if a person is wealthy enough not care about wasting $$ and giving it to ( or supporting) the local dealer for something they could have done them selves, the knowledge should be a a"must know" of knowing how to take care of a roadside problem.

Example: changing out a broken belt, (carrying an extra belt), plug a leaking tubeless tire and so on.

All RT owners should know how to remove topperware, and even getting to the air filter, or changing out spark plugs.

If you have a cordless drill and some torqes-bits and you have done it in the past, it is no more than a minute or two to remove all plastics.

Basic set of tools is a must including a torque wrench.

This is no different than a car driver not knowing how to change their own tire during a flat of in an emergency.

It should be a mandatory skill before drivers license is issued.

Tech days or a friend helping would be a good start to get going with it (if you have not done it before), after that it becomes a routine.

If it were the old 1200 with the little bolt and nut adjusters, definitely a DIY. New type with shims and fish buckets, probably dealer. If you do the oil and filter, the check ups are not too 'spensive

Archived