IGNORED

Virginia increases speed limit?

Paul Mihalka

What I have observed in West Texas when they increased the speed limit from 75 to 80, it really didn't make much difference because they seemed to reduce the tolerance level from +10 to about +5.

I like it even though I hate VA for it's cameras. Driving through I-81 and I-85 at 65+10mph is a drag. The extra 5mph is better than nothing and works out to about 15-30 minutes saved traversing the state depending on where you are headed. Now if only they could fix I-495!

What I have observed in West Texas when they increased the speed limit from 75 to 80, it really didn't make much difference because they seemed to reduce the tolerance level from +10 to about +5.

We Illinoisans are still saddled with a 65 mph limit on Interstates and 55 on most rural highways, but the de facto speed limit seems to be 15-20 mph above what's posted. At 80 mph on the Interstates, I get passed constantly.

Really, I think that the general disregard, even contempt, for speed limits, goes back to the days of the nationally-mandated 55 mph limit, which was ridiculously low and universally ignored. Motorists very quickly came to view speed limits as illogical and oppressive, resulting in a profusion of CB radios, Fuzzbusters, and songs about beating traffic enforcement. That disrespect for traffic laws took root as a sentiment that remains ingrained in a huge percentage of drivers, even those who weren't driving at the time.

We Illinoisans are still saddled with a 65 mph limit on Interstates and 55 on most rural highways, but the de facto speed limit seems to be 15-20 mph above what's posted. At 80 mph on the Interstates, I get passed constantly.

Really, I think that the general disregard, even contempt, for speed limits, goes back to the days of the nationally-mandated 55 mph limit, which was ridiculously low and universally ignored. Motorists very quickly came to view speed limits as illogical and oppressive, resulting in a profusion of CB radios, Fuzzbusters, and songs about beating traffic enforcement. That disrespect for traffic laws took root as a sentiment that remains ingrained in a huge percentage of drivers, even those who weren't driving at the time.

I fully agree. We moved to the USA - Florida in 1982. We came from a no real speed limit country, Venezuela, with all kinds of not so good roads. My highway speeds varied between 30mph and 90mph, whatever I felt good. Florida: wide open roads and a 55mph limit. At one point after all the possible safety schools I had 11 points on my license, one more and bye-bye license. Makes for good tire and gas mileage. That stupid law taught me to ride/drive feeling safe and good, but limited by what I think I can get away with.

This great news. If I ever get back there from the left side it means I won't be spending as much time in state! Instead if being on their roads from border to border I'll save 5-10 minutes. This really is special.

Good news especially in this political climate of global climate change or whatever it's called this week.

MPG goes down as speed goes up. You would think the trend would be against speed limit increases.

BTW, speeds are going up around here too. Due to Ca's speed trap law, cities have to raise speed limits based on an engineering survey of what 85% of the traffic is moving at.

In the studies I have read about speed, the speed limit is not much of a factor in most drivers speed. People tend to drive at speeds at which they are comfortable driving. In one study they varied the speed limit on a road from 25 to 45 mph. The average speed on the road changed by just a few percent (ISTR something like 3 or 4%). If speed limits continue to be raised, most drivers will not continue to drive faster. The 85th percentile speed is generally the safest speed at which to set a speed limit.

Hey Keith, it's safe to back to NC now!

:clap:

Hope its true......I don't want to ride like a bat out of hell, but I would certainly like to ride at a reasonable pace. I never ride any faster than about 75, so that makes me happy

It's possibly for economic reasons. 81 and 95 are becoming increasingly congested, everyone from Miami to Boston has to use one or the other. 81 also is a huge truck corridor and has no tolls and 95 is, well it's 95. It's a cheap and quick alternative to lane additions. Letting traffic move through a given sector at a higher rate means more flow in the same time period.

May result in a few more accidents and fatalities but in this economy probably an acceptable side effect.

One thing Florida has done over the past few years to try to mitigate Interstate congestion is raise the limits on secondary roads. Nearly all rural 4-lanes and even some two-lanes have been raised to 65, encouraging more drivers to use them, seing as how everyone is always in a hurry to get somewhere else. :)

I've ridden and driven thru Va. many times in morbid fear with the radar dectector under the seat or in a pocket, but one day I had my way with the men in silver and black. On the way back from the MOA Rally in Trenton, Ontario on 81 a construction crew in a 4-door dually passsed me going just under a hundred. I gave 'em about half a mile and paced them from Winchester to Wytheville. :grin:

It was probably the difference between making it to Jax nonstop and not.

Archived