IGNORED

1150RT Questions

lsdpoet

Just put a deposit down on an 04 1150RT Special Edition (Black)...Won't be picking it up for another 2 - 3 weeks so I thought I'd take the opportunity to pick up some pointers from this board -(it takes that long for my brain to digest information anyway)...I've had several 1100 RT's in the past and currently ride a 99 RT-P, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with BMW, but I've heard some pros and cons about the Twin Spark and I'd be appreciative of any comments you might have.....I've heard some good and bad about the Linked brakes, in fact I rode a friend's 02 and didn't find it too difficult to get used to after I almost went over the bars at the first stop...does it get any easier? what sort of mileage do you guys get? I'm doing about 230 on my RT-P. How is it riding 2 up? Any special maintenance required? Anything in particular I should be aware of (quirks)? I've been with this board for several years now and I know it's the place to get answers. Thanks in advance for any responses.... confused.gif

You'll find the R1150RT to be very similar to your R1100RTs in most of the respects you mention. With the possible exception of the servo linked brakes. And personally I'm not going to go there in yet another thread!

I've never heard of any cons of the twin-spark. Other than having to but four plugs of course.

We thought the RT was a great 2-up bike when we had it. Did about 15K on it 2-up.

Poet - congrats on the great new bike! You will be very pleased. I've had mine since it was brand new - the twin spark runs very smooth, none of the surging I had on an earlier single-spark oilhead.

Some things you might want to think about off the bat include the Kisan SignalMinder SM-5 - this will give you self-cancelling signals and allow you to use your turn sigs as running lights. Mine burned quite a bit of oil (about 50ml per 100 miles) until it got about 10K miles on it, now it doesn't burn oil anymore. I am on my second set of Metzler Z-6's, love them. Many people (including me) find the stock windshield low, and I went with a higher Cee Bailey aftermarket shield.

It's a great 2up bike. I changed the stock rack to a Givi mounting plate and now when the wife gets on back I can stick my gIVI Monokey case with back rest on and she is very comfortable.

Well - enjoy the great bike - it certainly is a beauty in black (or any ther color).

I got the same 2004 SE R1150RT back in June and 7000 miles later I love her more and more. The black RT is the fastest color! cool.gif I too was concerned with the linked brakes(cause of all the opposing opinions)but I have not have a problem w/ them(and I come from riding big cruisers), you just need to get a feel from them. They accually have saved my a$$ a couple of times already.

I get anywhere from 46 to 52 mpg depending on how hard I ride.

The twin spark is very smooth compared to a 99rt I had test ridden. And I love the 6th gear at hwy speeds. thumbsup.gif

And from what I have read here on the board by 2004 most of the R11XXRT quirks had been dealt w/ as far as the surging issue and the ride should be a little smoother.

Twin spark is good because (1) better gas mileage and (2) less likely to surge (or so they say). No downsides that I know of beyond more components, so more to go wrong -- but no reports on this board that I can remember of problems due to the "redundant" parts.

Im my search for stark simplicity, I have put 50K on a single-sparker with no complaints.

Think you'll really enjoy your '04 RT. I've got 38K miles on mine and it just keeps getting better and better. That being said, I have been very careful not to test ride an R1200RT. grin.gif

As for the fully linked brakes, I would rather not have them, but have found the "problem" to be more theoretical than practical. There are certainly times when it would be preferable to be able to use the rear brake without the front brake, but I haven't actually experienced a problem as a result of the fully linked brakes. However, I am a very average rider and don't push the envelope. So, YMMV.

Yes, you'll get used to the feel of the brakes very quickly and their use will become second nature.

Mileage - I get from mid 40's to very close to 50 mpg, depending on my, ahem, "enthusiasm." When just cruising along in smell-the-roses mode, I have seen numbers like 49.7. When flying the V-1 behind a fast rabbit, it falls off precipitously.

Hope you enjoy your new baby as much as I have enjoyed mine!

I've just moved on from a deceased R1100RS to a twin spark 1150RT. Smooooth, quiet (relatively) hydraulic clutch. apart from the linked brakes (with which I have no problem) the bleeding of the braking system looks a lot more complicated. Oh and did I mention smooooth and fast grin.gifclap.gif

I have ridden lots of RT's from 1999 to 2004. Of the batch, the '04 in black was the best for me. If you are tall (over 6'), try a Cee Baileys #2 cut, euro, plus 3 inches. If you are shorter, the same screen in plus 2. Its really, really, nice. The fully integrated brakes in '04 are the least "abrupt" of the 1150 line as they had been adjusted twice since the intro in 2002. If you rode a 2002 with no problems, an '04 will be better still. For more lighting, you can beef up the bulbs in the driving lights though I think the stock ones are fine. For better visability, you can get Cee Baileys headlight guard (3-pc) with the center clear and the driving light covers in yellow. The amber is too dark, I like the yellow. The car folks really see you when running them in daytime. The stock tank bag is great fit-wise and its huge, but if the cost makes you wheeze, the Marsee teardrop quick release 20L fits about as good as a factory one and costs much less. also avail in 15L and 25L. Metzeler Z6's will probably spoil you for anything else unless you are one of those guys who nurse a 50 cent crush washer along for 6 oil changes to avoid taking the plunge and buying a new one. Speed safely, Big Al

I moved up from a '04 HD Sportster to a '04 R1150RT (black). I don't regret that decision at all. The beemer is smooth, great, suspension, ergonomics feel perfect, etc... I can't compare it to older RT's, but it doesn't have the surging problem that I've read about. I got used to the brakes on the 20 minute test drive. I had always learned to apply the front and rear brakes together (front brake a little more pressure). I quickly learned you can't do that on a RT - unless you want to stop NOW. I rarely apply the brakes using the rear brake lever - only when starting from an incline.

I believe your gonna love that bike. As some others have said - it just keeps getting better. thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Fly

I got a new 05 1150RT at the beginning of the summer. No complaints with the bike at all....now the dealer...well that's a different issue....and now here I am 6 months later on my #2 05 1150RT Black for this year and it is great as well. No complaints. It is amazing how the 2 bikes ride so differently though as far as individual quirks.....the Cee Bailey is the best as I am 6'3". The BMW tank bag is great but you need to add more foam to the top edge to keep it from marking the tank (#1 1150RT). My wife loves it for 2 up and I love it for my daily commutes and long haul trips. Versatile bike that will allow you to ride early and late in the year (like this weekend). Enjoy the new bike.

586916-blackbeauty0001.thumb.JPG.9ea3a4ea9589aadb941d798df127cba4.JPG

Archived