IGNORED

Jackets, liners & sweat

marked23

It's about 45º on my drive to work. A bit too chilly to go without the liner in my jacket. So I put the liner on for today's ride. Comfort wise, it was way better than yesterday, when I didn't have the liner.

But now I've sweat through my shirt. Doesn't look good at the office.

Anything I can do about that? I put the liner on mainly in response to my arms getting cold. Do they make arm-only liners :)?

I find that in the cold I like to wear wool sweaters. I commute by bicycle all the time and in the winter I find that a wool sweater (a thin one) breathes much better than my waterproof jacket and I don't become as sweaty of a mess. The other day I was on my motorcycle and I had my leather jacket on and a thin wool sweater, the inside was nice and toasty but the sweater breathes so well I didn't sweat much.

I'm not talking a big thick cableknit sweater, I'm talking a nice thin merino wool one that you would put over a dress shirt.

-Ryan.

Yes, designed for bicycle use they are called arm warmers.

But, why not wear a wicking shirt, then swap it for your work shirt when you arrrive?

You'd have the wicking one for the ride home too.

Your problem most likely stems from the fact that your jacket liner does not breathe, trapping humidity in with your body heat, causing the perspiration. Try removing the liner and replacing it with a good sweatshirt.

Try removing the liner and replacing it with a good sweatshirt.

Or better yet, a good fleece from somewhere like Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, or 66 North.

Try removing the liner and replacing it with a good sweatshirt.

Or better yet, a good fleece from somewhere like Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, or 66 North.

That's what I have used for years. Fleece tends to let air/moisture through real well.

But if you are warm enough to sweat, why not open the jacket vents a bit? You should never let yourself get to the point of sweating.

Yes, designed for bicycle use they are called arm warmers.

But, why not wear a wicking shirt, then swap it for your work shirt when you arrrive?

You'd have the wicking one for the ride home too.

+1

Liners such as what you have are good for one thing, and one thing only, rain.

Get a North Face, REI, or equivalent type jacket and wear that when it's cool or sprinkling. Save the liners for true wet weather riding.

Consider that the sweat you accumulate can remove body heat faster than air can. This means you can end up colder than you started, or worse yet, hypothermic.

Avoid sweat from accumulating wherever possible.

Archived