IGNORED

Cover for fuel pump controller?

Sailorlite

My reading of the parts fiche for the '08 RT shows a large circular cover and gasket over the area of the fuel pump controller (atop the fuel tank). The FPC is evidently subject to water damage and it seems that some kind of cover is a good idea. However, upon inspection, I find there's no such cover on my FPC. I don't know why anyone, the dealer for example, would have needed access to the FPC - so I'm thinking the bike never did have this part.

My question is, does the RT come from the factory with this cover? Or is it only on the GS? (Part no. 16 11 6 760 285).

Afternoon Sailorlite

I haven’t ever seen that plastic cover on the RT only the early GS’s. Unless it totally sealed the FPC area it probably just traps any moisture that would enter that area. Better off without it as that allows any moisture to evaporate out of the depression around the FPC.

After my first FPC failure the latest one I have has the updated FPC and FPC seal. I do ride in a LOT of rain at fairly high speeds so have pulled the FPC a few times after a long multi day ride in the rain and so far the new seal is keeping the water out of the fuel pump well as it is always dry as a bone when I check it.

When you mention seal , are you referring to the green rubber "O" ring at the bottom of the FPC?

How is the updated FPC different form the older one?

When you mention seal , are you referring to the green rubber "O" ring at the bottom of the FPC?

How is the updated FPC different form the older one?

Evening Lov2fly

The latest FPC has slightly larger cooling fins and is powder coated in a black coating so it doesn’t turn all corroded and oxidized after a year or two in bad weather.

The cover on the early GS’s had vent slots in it anyway, so it was useless for water infiltration prevention. Mostly was a decorative piece. I ‘lost’ mine a long time ago.

Archived