IGNORED

I Surrendered to Mother Nature...

RockBottom

...and installed the controller for my electric gloves yesterday.

I remained in denial as long as possible but last Sunday morning I was getting temperature readings below 35 for a while. I got by with my Tourmaster Winter Elites and Polartec glove liners. That worked fine so long as I didn't need to bend my fingers, use the clutch, or engage the front brake. After a while, though, riding in first gear and dragging my feet to stop got old.

So, once again, Mother Nature wins.

My days of freezing on a motorcycle are long gone. In my youth, I used to show up with my face too frozen to speak and my hands too cold to feel anything. No more. Now it's Gerbings head to toe, and heated grips, too.

In fact, when it's cold outside, I'm warmer on the bike than off! I have to hurry up and fill the tank so I can get back on the road and thaw out :smirk:

++2 If my wife ever finds a way to wear her heated gear in the house she'll be pulling a damn cord behind her from room to room.

Hey, they are available with a battery pack! :grin:

I don't have heated gear yet but I think I will want some by the time the winter is over.

I just asked my uncle the other day if he wanted to go for a ride soon since I just got my RT. His reply was "Ride soon?! Riding season is over". I didn't know what to say to that. I will just ride up to Redding sometime and say hello and hopefully it won't be raining and he will go for a ride with me.

For me, 40 degrees is the tipping point. Below that on any ride that more than just a short commute, I need heated gloves.

I had a heated vest but the battery went dead and I didn't replace it. I find that with layering, including a Polartec fleece, I do find without it. I just can't layer my hands.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I don't have heated gear yet but I think I will want some by the time the winter is over.

I have gloves and grips. I just use the grips now but, my commute is only 15-20 minutes. With sweaty tending hands, heated gloves don't work so well.

And the season isn't over, it has just moved. No more Sierra passes in another few weeks. Just lower elevation and accounting for rain forecasts so that I don't get the "look" and 'isn't it supposed to rain?' question.

For me, 40 degrees is the tipping point. Below that on any ride that more than just a short commute, I need heated gloves.

I had a heated vest but the battery went dead and I didn't replace it. I find that with layering, including a Polartec fleece, I do find without it. I just can't layer my hands.

Silk liner, glove, Aerostitch insulated Triple Digit rain/wind/overglove.

We ride all year but the "season" is just starting.

Forties to fifties in the a.m. and 70-85 afternoons.

:thumbsup:

I have a heated vest, heated seat, and heated grips. The problem with layering, is that on my <1hr. commute, the temp. changes 25-30 degrees. I don't want to waste time stopping to take layers off. I can just flip a switch while still riding.

It is 89 degrees today in Austin Texas.

Good riding weather just starting now.

:clap:

I most definitely live in the wrong place. The forecast here for next week mentions... snow. :P

++2 If my wife ever finds a way to wear her heated gear in the house she'll be pulling a damn cord behind her from room to room.

You know, that's crossed my mind on occasion. I could turn down the heat in the house to about 50 degrees and save a bundle on gas bills. Seriously, there are times in the winter when I've gone for a motorcycle ride just to get warm.

I have a heated vest, heated seat, and heated grips. The problem with layering, is that on my <1hr. commute, the temp. changes 25-30 degrees. I don't want to waste time stopping to take layers off. I can just flip a switch while still riding.

My commute is only three miles. I do the layering on my weekend fun rides which are typically 8-10 hours. I stop every hour and half or so, and make adjustments then.

85 forecast high today. Riding around to the courthouses lawyering, should be about 200 miles on the RR today. Life is great !! :thumbsup:

It all works out in the end--we'll have our share of summer days with low humidity, temperatures in the low 80s, and no skeeters.

Yep, riding comfy is a vastly superior experience from the days of Army wool glove liners and leather shells and the Field Jacket with liner. God bless the Gerbings, and their predecessors the Widders, without whom we'd freeze our extremities off. :grin:

I have no need for this new-fangled electrickery myself. I rely on my thick Northern European blood and a substantial layer of subcutaneous insulation to keep me warm. Along with my Hi-Grunge stitch I'm toasty in the chilliest weather, I even poured super glue in the switch for my heated grips just in case I sucummed to temptation in a moment of weaknesss........... :thumbsup:

Yep, riding comfy is a vastly superior experience from the days of Army wool glove liners and leather shells and the Field Jacket with liner. God bless the Gerbings, and their predecessors the Widders, without whom we'd freeze our extremities off. :grin:

Jeez.... I just had an "Army" flashback. The only thing missing here is that stupid steel pot and fiberglass liner. And the shelter half that you could never match to anybody else. And the poncho that was useless. :eek:

The tipping point for me is 35 degrees. That is not for comfort sake, I will don whatever is necessary for my own comfort.....It is because I refuse to ride when ice is likely. A little snow, OK, (I have several hundred miles of accidental, though accident free, experience with snow), but ice does not work for any technique that I am aware of.

Archived