IGNORED

Nuvi vs Zumo

Dave39

I bought a Nuvi GPS a while back because I just couldn't justify to myself the price of the Zumo. I don't need Blue Tooth, radios, voice commands and other doodads. It appeared that the Nuvi did everything I needed, except for altimeter/elevation data, which I do miss. Problem is one that's been discussed here before: the damned Nuvi keeps cutting off when plugged into the power outlet. It's worse on bumpy roads (works fine on short-lived internal battery). I have to conclude that the Nuvi is just not compatible with motorcycles (gee, I wonder if that's just a coincidence that they are so vibration sensitive). The Nuvi works just fine in my PU plugged into the lighter socket, has never cut off. Anyway I'm about to the point of breaking down and getting a Zumo for my RT. My question is does the Zumo operate in a more stable manner on a motorcycle? I haven't read of any problems with it cutting off or stopping. Is that the case? Also does a Zumo work off the power socket or is it normally hard-wired into the bike?

I've been using a Zumo 550 for several years now on both a GSA and an RT with never a single problem. It was bike powered on both bikes and used a Touratech locking mount. Made it up and down the Dalton Road to Prudhoe Bay and back as well as many more dirt roads and many thousands of miles of paved roads. No power drop issues ever.

Same with me. I had some issues with my 450, but not cutting off. I now have a 220 on a RAM mount. I have mine running directly into the battery.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I'm on 3 plus years with my Zumo and I did have an issue with the unit cutting out early on, however, the problem was with the mount. I called Garmin and explained my problem and they shipped me a replacement the same day. No problems since.

Five years and tens of thousands of miles later, I haven't had a single problem with the zumo 550.

The zumo cradle is easily hard-wired on the RT and should be. If you don't already have a fuse block for your RT, I highly recommend getting one.

I have a Nuvi 765T and love it. It has not missed a lick, no issues at all. It does elevation and altitude. It is NOT waterproof so I put a bag on it in the rain. Fast chip, Widescreen, Bluetooth, MP3, interfaces with my Starcom1. I took a chance because I could not afford a Zumo and it has workded out well for me. I can buy 3 of these units for the price of a Zumo so I will do it again. Offroad is probably a different story but on the RT is is great. $229

As others have stated, I think you have a connection problem with the mount.

Ride safe.

Terry

My 450 used to corrupt routes routinely. Every time I called Garmin, they're response was that I must be nuts. I don't dispute that point, but the thing was corrupting routes.

I still have occasional problems but they may be Map Source related rather than Zumo. E.g. it insists on routing me where there is no road on this:

Glitch

Thanks for input. I may get a Zumo, but first I think I'm going to try a direct battery connection for the Nuvi. Ordered a $9.95 fused battery harness last night and will modify Powerlet interface with a plug-in.

Thinking about your problem with the Nuvi, I'm thinking it's not a power issue. Because if the gps loses power, the Nuvi should pause for a second or two before starting the 30 second countdown. If it's just turning off in a blink, that's not the expected behavior for power loss.

I would send that Nuvi in to Garmin and tell them that it shuts itself off for no reason.

I guess I didn't describe the problem accurately. I cuts off, and then starts again, over and over. It does seem to be a power problem. I suspected the powerlet cable, but tried another and it did the same thing. I didn't mention that I observed similar behavior with my Garmin Etrex when I used it plugged in except it would cut off completely as I didn't have any batteries in it. Also I have seen this behavior on both my previous 2001 1100RT and my newer 2009 1200RT. It seems to be a problem with the BMW power outlets, hence I'm going to try a hard wired hookup. As I said earlier no problem in my pickup when plugged into the lighter socket.

I'm still running a Nuvi, no problems, almost two years now. Maybe your mounting location and hardware allow more vibration to the unit?

I'm running a Nuvi 750. Direct wired a waterproof cigar lighter socket via a fuse to the battery. Mounted the socket to a custom bracket to the underside of the fork tree. No issues on the RT. One day when mounting in a car, it acted up, though. Turned out to be the cable to cradle connection. The pins in there are microscopic. Be sure the cable isn't being buffeted around while on the bike.

I have the same trouble with my nuvi 500. It's just like somebody's unplugging and plugging it in over and over and over. Never had a problem in the car using the same cord. I've tried a new cord with no improvement. Also, it works fine in the Ram mount, running on batttery power.

Mine's mounted in a Ram mount, and it vibrates pretty good - depending on the engine RPM, I can get it to vibrate into a blur. I've considered mounting it elsewhere - like in the tank bag map case, or suction cupped to the tachometer. Maybe one of these locations will do the trick.

Hard to say whether the problem is at the cord-socket interface, or perhaps inside the unit itself. I am convinced, however, that it's not the cord.

Is there an inline fuse? My Garmin (Streetpilot) would shut off and restart on occasion. I've taken out the inline fuse and roughed up the ends of the fuse contacts and reinstalled. Worked good since (2 years now).

I've been using a Powerlet cable to power the Nuvi. If there is an inline fuse, it's sealed and inaccessible. One of the first things I tried was cleaning all plug-in contacts to no effect.

Dave..I have had a Zumo 550 since 2007. No issues, however the problem you are describing is similiar to a different device I have. It turned out the fuse was actually in the cigar plug itself and the cone on the cigar plug was loose making intermittent contact with the fuse. Screwed it down, never had another issue.

I had that problem, and it turned out to be the interface between the power cord and the unit. It is a little black piece with the socket for the suction cup used in the car and into which you plug the power cord and then snap it onto the GPS unit. I got a replacement from Garmin and have not had a problem since.

I think both are good, I have used both and there are pluses and minuses to both.

My Nuvi worked well until it shock itself to bits (see above), the Zumo has just died, now I will have to replace with a new unit. Garmin will not repair it as it is the BMW Zumo and hence I am now going through the whole BMW warranty process... I am however due to retire in 30 years so have not got the time for it, so time to buy a new one.

I bought my Zumo 550 when it first came out and it died this summer....apparently the vibration finally got to the screen calibration. Garmin sent me a replacement for $150. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new one.

If you don't need XM, check out the Zumo 220. May be a reasonably priced alternate.

I recently got Kevin the Zumo 220 for his BD. I went for the Zumo vs. the Nuvi mostly for worry over possible vibration problems and ease of connecting to the Scala bluetooth comm unit.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 220, looks like it's got everything I want, but a little concerned about the small screen (smaller than my Nuvi). I need to seek one out and see in the flesh.

I bought a Nuvi 550 and am quite happy with it. It does all I need from a GPS and I have not had any power issues like the OP describes. I made my own mount, modelled from the Migsel.

The pics are before painting and mounting the GPS. I might take it apart and change the angle a bit. No vibration at all, but a bit of glare because of the angle.

961657055_s5yuy-M.jpg

961658382_YnqhK-M.jpg

I bought a Nuvi 550 and am quite happy with it. It does all I need from a GPS and I have not had any power issues like the OP describes. I made my own mount, modelled from the Migsel.

The pics are before painting and mounting the GPS. I might take it apart and change the angle a bit. No vibration at all, but a bit of glare because of the angle.

961657055_s5yuy-M.jpg

961658382_YnqhK-M.jpg

Looks much more stable than the BMW shelf that has no middle support. Let me know if you ever plan on fabricating these for sale. I'd buy one.

Thanks,

T

I'm kind of leaning towards the 220, looks like it's got everything I want, but a little concerned about the small screen (smaller than my Nuvi). I need to seek one out and see in the flesh.

I find that isn't a problem using a RAM mount straight up by the left grip. When I tried slanting the mount backwards, it did make the screen too far away to see with my geezerly eyes.

Re the Zumo- I have had problems on two units with the unit locking up in use. Had to use hex to open back battery compartment, remove and reinstall battery to get it workng agian. Bending the internal battery terminals a bit to give them stronger contact stops this issue. Have no knowledge of what a Nuvi internal battery connecotr might look like but wonder if the same issue is happening.

Re the BMW Zumo- mine crapped at 2 yrs, bubbled screen, dealer sent it back no problems. Apparently some units have very flawed screens- mine started bubbling the first time a couple drops of water landed on it and steadily deteriorated until it failed

I finally got the Nuvi hard wired in and went out for a test ride today on some bumpy rural roads. The Nuvi never cut off as it inevitably did with the power socket, stayed on true and steady. I'll continue using for a while.

I have been using a refurbished Nuvi 200w for several years now with absolutely no problems. It is powered through a cigarette outlet that I put in my tank bag. Cost was $123, would be much cheaper now... in the $80 range. I once used a Zumo 550 which was included on a rental R1200RT and was not impressed. Had major problems with routing. It insisted on taking me a certain way and when I created waypoints to take me where I wanted to go, it gave me results that were laughable. I've been using paper maps more and more but rely on the Nuvi to tell me where I am in 3D view. Lets me see the upcoming roads. It takes a lot of time to program a route and transfer it to the Nuvi. With a paper map all I need is a map and a hiliter. Hours vs. minutes.

I swap my Nuvi (750 I think) between the truck, van, R12C and KLR (and on the R100GS while I rode that). I like the larger display on the Nuvi. It's worked great for about three years now.

I use an Aquabox and RAM Arm Mount to Handlebar RAM Ball mounts to swap between the bikes, with a second dedicated power cable routed inside the Aquabox waterproof slots per the instructions. It's a cig lighter power cable on the other end that I plug into a short cig lighter to powerlet adapter cord that plugs into the bike. White Horse Gear is an hour ride so that's where I get the RAM gear.

I'm looking for a RT mounting solution now. I'd prefer something centered below the windshield and above the speedo but may go with a clutch/brake reservoir cover ball mount for now.

I haven't believed in paying a bundle for a simple GPS mount. Below are some pics of the Nuvi mount I made for my 1200RT. Cost was less than a dollar. It's not in center, but I prefer that it be on the left out of line of sight and easier to manipulate with left hand when riding. Also, being higher up it's a heads up display. Sorry for bad photography, but just snapped in dark garage on the fly.

P1020342.jpg

P1020335.jpg

P1020347.jpg

I have a $600 550 on my F8ST and an $85 Nuvi 255 on the S1000RR. They are both simple to use, get me to the same places, dowload the same files from BaseCamp.

One has BT, XM, and phone capability; one doesn't. In hindsight, I'm not sure now if BT/XM/phone was worth a $515 premium.

DSCN0189.JPG

One has BT, XM, and phone capability; one doesn't. In hindsight, I'm not sure now if BT/XM/phone was worth a $515 premium.

I hear you. Now that I've got the Nuvi, a 255w, working fine hard-wired, I can't really justify a $500-$700 upgrade for features that I will not use. That would buy a new set of tires and new tank bag.

Like Dave39 I did not spend a lot to mount my Nuvi. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of thin aluminum and mounted it with stainless steel bolts to the backside (dash side) of my tankbag. The Nuvi is velcroed on and has never come off while riding. It is powered in my tank bag with the cigarette charger plug that came with it. The beauty of this is that, when I go into a restaurant for lunch I just undo the tankbag, pull out the power plug from the powerlet and take everything inside with me.

but the 550 is waterproof and beef up for vibration. the others are not. just spent 4 hours in a seminar for the 550 and I'm impressed with everything it can do. And it is somewhat touchscreen but has the big buttons on the side when you have gloves. Yeah it hurts when you buy it,but if you use it year round it will last.

I am a rain wimp and never ride it in it unless absolutely necessary. On my last really rainy ride last June up Stevens Pass in WA, the Nuvi stayed completely dry behind the windshield, and it was a down pour. The only vibration problem I had was with the plug in to the BMW socket, and that problem is solved with the hard wire.

I do not believe that the whole vibration thing is an issue. I've had an old TomTom One on the different bikes for the last 3 years with no issue. I am now upgrading to a Nuvi 765T. My reasons for this over the Zumo 660 are primarily cost, if the 765T craps out, I could buy another 6 times over for the cost of the 660. From the specs the 765T does exactly what the 660 does. No it's not water proof but neither is my TomTom. I just slide a zip lock bag over it in the rain and it has worked fine. My other reason on the 765T is that if I go into a store or restaurant and have it on the bike, I won't be worried about someone ripping off a $600+ piece of equipment. Funny that no one has every touched the TomTom. ;)

Forgot to mention that I wired a USB port to the GPS socket on the RT so that I can power up almost anything.

+1 to Travman and Dave39's comments. I've never had a problem with water as I don't ride on obviously rainy days but if I do get caught in a thunderstorm, I just stop and either take it off or put a baggie over it. This has happened only twice and I simply pulled under a convenience store canopy, put a baggie over it and kept on going. Vibration has not bothered the Nuvi in 3 years of use.

Archived