IGNORED

XM Receivers

JohnBoy

My original Roady that's a year and a half old finally gave out. Same issue as most folks on this board, the audio connector gave out. I've seen where some people have opened up the unit and resoldered the connector, but I can't even figure out how to open the darn thing up, let alone solder something inside it.

I called Delphi hoping for some pity from them, but they are holding fast to their one year warranty. The guy asked me if I used it on a motorcycle and claimed that they are seeing a lot of this problem with the use of them on a bike. Sounds like the connector/solder can't hold up to the vibrations from the motors.

So, having already paid two years in advance to get the low monthly rate, I'm in the market for a new unit.

It looks like folks are having the same audio connector issues with the Roady 2's, so that may be out. But what about this new Roady XT. I searched and couldn't find any posts on this new unit. I'm hoping that this unit has a cradle, therefore if the connector does go bad, I'll only have to replace the cradle and not the unit itself. There is also an Audiovox unit that I hadn't seen before. Anyone seen or used this thing?

Pros or cons to any of the available XM receivers would be much appreciated.

TIA

I suggest that you go to XMfan.com and ask your question in the Hardware and Accessories section. You should get lots of responses there.

FWIW, I installed a Roady2 on my bike about two months ago. I probably have about 2,000 miles with it on, on bumpy NJ roads, and I have had no problems (so far). I never remove mine, so I think it helps that I am not constantly plugging and unplugging things. If you plan to move it from vehicle to vehicle, then I agree that a cradle is a better approach.

The receivers are so cheap now that they have become disposable consumer electronics. I have no expectation that this will last much more than a year. With Delphi in Chapter 11, I also expect that they will continue to take a hard line on warranty issues. So I am prepared to just buy a new one if this breaks outside of warranty.

I too had the same problem, times 2, and I finally purchased a Delphi SkyFi. I love the cradle and the way it connects. It has a couple of more features that I like. The buttons are easier with gloves the screeen is a little larger.

Personally, I would buy this again rather than a Roady

I have the MyFi. This is really easy to move from place to place. It has a portable antenna and can transmit with the cassette adapter or by FM modulator. I have used it more on an Ultra Classic than the RT. I need to get an Autocom or something similar before I use it on road trips. I have'nt stepped up to the plate and purchased noise cancelling earphones yet. One more thing for the wishlist grin.gif

It's expensive, but the new Garmin 376C GPS has XM built in, and I'm installing one on my RT. If you also happen to have a boat, this unit also has a lot of pretty good marine functions.

"The receivers are so cheap now that they have become disposable consumer electronics."

I think BestBuy was advertising Roady2's with the home kit for $49.00 last weekend. Maybe something new is coming out.

"The receivers are so cheap now that they have become disposable consumer electronics."

I think BestBuy was advertising Roady2's with the home kit for $49.00 last weekend. Maybe something new is coming out.

Yes, the Roady XT already came out.

XM Fan Store has the Roady2 for about $40.

My Radio Store also has it for about $40.

Also, Wal-Mart usually carries these. The last time I was there it was $49.

Why do you use the modulator? Do you have a built in intercom on you bike?

I use an in-line volume control from Radio Shack that is available for about $6 or $7. I plug my Etymotic headphones into that.

pRS1C-2265311w345.jpg

Archived