IGNORED

Valve Clearance Time

roundy

Just been out servicing the RT, was quite surprised to find the valves tight - would have expected them to be loose rather than tight??

I am doing the clearances myself, I am right in saying that setting them a bit on the loose side is better than having them too tight?

Don_Eilenberger
Just been out servicing the RT, was quite surprised to find the valves tight - would have expected them to be loose rather than tight??

I am doing the clearances myself, I am right in saying that setting them a bit on the loose side is better than having them too tight?

I'd shoot for dead-nutz on. The three-feeler No-Go-No method works well for that. And they may be tight because the engine was still warm when they were last adjusted?

Hi roundy

The valves on the BMW boxer can go either way but usually go tight as they seat in.

It really depends on if you get more cam-lifter-push rod-rocker arm-elephants foot wear than valve recession.

Most I have worked on go tight but every now and then I will find a loose one.

Archived