IGNORED

Tips for recording quality on-board video?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Bought a camera this weekend that, among other things, can record full HD video for up to ten continuous minutes. Would like to mount it on the bike ('09 R1200RT), but the way I will go about that is going to depend on what is needed in order to record good, quality video footage. ("quality" here means not jittery or otherwise disorienting due to camera location or movement.)

I have no idea what those needs are. Got any tips?

• Should the camera be mounted to the frame of the bike as rigidly as possible, or is it desirable to have some sort of cushion/isolation/damping built into the mount to absorb vibrations?

• Handlebar mount, or hard-mount to the fairing subframe (possibly to mirror/signal pod)?

• Are camera angles other than looking straightforward often desirable? Is it worth getting/building a mount that allows the camera to be rapidly repositioned (perhaps while riding), or is it best to have a mount that firmly/solidly locks the camera to a straight forward, level view?

• is it better to have the camera aligned with the center plane of the bike, or is it OK to have the camera off to one side, e.g. over the mirror or on the end of the handlebar?

• if a repositionable mount is good, is a full ball-and-socket swivel connection best, or just a yaw platform that always keeps the camera level even when facing sideways?

Any other tips (products or procedures) for a first-time videographer are most welcome.

John Ranalletta

What camera rig did you buy?

No deep experience here, but I've got a GoPro HD. Here are some vids taken on the GS, Duc GT and Blackbird. The cam was attached to the tank on the Duc and GS and to the fairing on the Honda. Had the camera mounted on helmet for the "skull cam" vid

The GoPro has a fish eye lens.

Disregard the first vid taken with point 'n shoot.

Joe Frickin' Friday
What camera rig did you buy?

to say "rig" is overstating things a bit. New camera is a Canon Powershot SD4500. It's a point-and-shoot, but the ability to record significant lengths of full 1080p HD video (24 fps) is a far step above my previous two cameras, which could record video only at very limited resolution, low frame rate, and short clip lengths, not at all worth bothering to come up with a bike mount for them.

Your videos bring up another question. Is it better to have the bike in the camera's field of view, or to give the camera clear, unobstructed view of the road and scenery ahead?

John Ranalletta

Beats me...

Essentially, you'll be recording vids for your own future strolls down memory lane. They really aren't much interesting to others unless you video yourself in a high side. If you normally include your bike in still photos, you're likely to do so with the videos.

Mounting opportunities will dictate. I can mount the cam on the nose of the Blackbird and the bike is not visible. Since I don't want to attach a sticky to the GS or GT fenders, tank mounting will include parts of the bike by necessity.

How're you intending to mount a point 'n shoot? Will you use the tripod mount on some sort of suction cup. You could also use a Ram mount setup which might be much easier. The longer the mounting arm, the more "shakes" you'll get.

Mounting location is also dictated by the length of your arms. You'll want to start/stop the cam w/o stopping the bike. The GoPro doesn't have an "in use" indicator on the back to let you know it's functioning.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Essentially, you'll be recording vids for your own future strolls down memory lane. They really aren't much interesting to others unless you video yourself in a high side. If you normally include your bike in still photos, you're likely to do so with the videos.

I'm imagining myself doing some video editing, putting clips together with fades/transitions and adding music. Perhaps I'm deluding myself, but my hope is to be able to make something that others might be interested in seeing. This video (by mundo) represents the kind of quality I would like/hope to achieve. I don't anticipate making that sort of gem the first time out - heck, I may find that videography isn't to my liking afterall - but I'm hoping to get as much right as I can, right from the start so that I don't waste time learning, by trial-and-error, the things that other folks already know.

How're you intending to mount a point 'n shoot? Will you use the tripod mount on some sort of suction cup. You could also use a Ram mount setup which might be much easier. The longer the mounting arm, the more "shakes" you'll get.

I'm anticipating something short and stout, attached to either the handlebar (by mirror hole or by bar end weight, possibly both together for something extra rigid), to the mirror pod (some sort of stanchion that attaches to the subframe between the mirror and turn signal), or something out in front othe bike. I can't see myself trusting suction cups enough for that to be the only way it attaches to the bike. If experienced videographers tell me that multiple perspectives are in fact very valuable, I might consider making multiple mounts.

The details, I guess, will depend in part on what else comes up in this thread.

I'll be fabricating as much of this as I can (I've got all winter). Among other things, I'm anticipating a scratch-resistant Lexan shield directly in front of the camera to fend of bugs/rocks/birds/bullets, possibly also on the sides and top (it's weird to me how bugs can get smashed onto the BACKside of the bike's windscreen...).

Man, a riding buddy (Connie rider) does a helluva job on stills and video. The link on my sig to Alaska include mostly his photos. There was a similar thread on COG for more info. Some of his youtube video here (check out the Skyline Drive).

As a side note, I enjoy watching bike mounted video, especially with sound... it's probably just me but I find I move my head with the video.

Mitch said: I can't see myself trusting suction cups enough for that to be the only way it attaches to the bike.

Mitch: I attended the Targa Newfoundland in September (Google it) and there were numerous race car teams using Go Pros (and similar cams) using suction cup mounts. The team I was with used two Go Pros with that company's suction cups and they didn't have any problems even with speeds over 120 mph.

I'd use the suction cups (but if it were me, I'd also tether it to the bike.) :)

FYI.

Tim

Of course it wasn't a digital micro camera and most probably mounted on a car or truck, but the opening motorcycle run (sans crash please) of Lawrence of Arabia still remains etched in my memory - especially the pre-start sequence of the bike from various angles as well as the physical mechanics of starting. Looking forward to your first ride movie post.

I use a Contour helmet camera. They are light, easy to use and provide HD quality. Mounting it to your helmet gives the viewer first person perspective and also eliminates vibrations. Here is a sample video my friend made a few months ago.

Contour helmet camera's

Joe Frickin' Friday
I use a Contour helmet camera. They are light, easy to use and provide HD quality. Mounting it to your helmet gives the viewer first person perspective and also eliminates vibrations.

The small size of the Contour is attractive, but the image quality is less than I would want. I haven't experimented with the video on my SD4500 yet, but I'm expecting good results: it takes excellent still photos, and the video uses the same sensor and lens.

My biggest concern with using a camera on the bike is stuff impacting the lens.

Reason why I was always thinking of getting a VIO POV.

Just a caution Mitch, when and if you mount the camera, please be extra cautious when riding. I have had more friends crash while shooting video on motos, bikes and hang gliders because their attention was on 'taking a video' not operating the machine.

Really causes you to split your attention, had that happen while scuba diving and taking pics as well, just about missed my pick up boat because I was so intent on photography in a drift dive.

I have one similar to that that I use with my Kodak Playsport. It works great as it allows positioning the camera on nearly any surface. i don't think Id trust it on the RT though. I'd probably try to buy a cheap tripod and dissemble it, using the camera connection parts and jury rigging them to fit a mount made for MC's or bicycles. Or, save yourself the trouble and go here.

Ever seen something like
?

It would allow both still off the bike photos as a tripod and attach to the bike for videos.

Great video. That first segment has me looking forward to winter. The real key to good video is the editing though. Almost anyone can shoot footage, putting it together so that others will appreciate it is the trick.

Archived