IGNORED

Removing side mirrors on an 1150 RT

Gargoyle

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get some clearer instructions on how to remove the side mirrors on my 03 1150 RT. The BMW small maintenance booklet that came with the bike does not really get into the removal process other than pull the mirrors off the bike. Just want to make sure I don't make the same stupid mistake I made removing the side covers over the grab handle to lift the bike where I broke the plastic tab on the back of the cover. Got it fixed jerry rigged to work but just don't want to make the same mistake removing the mirrors.

Do I just pull it apart from the bike like the book says or is ther some trick to removing them without braking anything in the process. I want to install these safety cables on the mirrors so in case they come off they don't fall directly to the ground.

Thanks,

Put one hand underneath it, then whack it on the lower corner on the mirror side - it should pop right off into the hand you have underneath.

Yes, as said, they do just pull off. It is a good idea to have a safety wire/cord on them, I had one come off once when going over a very bumpy bit of road, luckily no one ran over it!

Dave.

Yes, as said, they do just pull off. It is a good idea to have a safety wire/cord on them, I had one come off once when going over a very bumpy bit of road, luckily no one ran over it!

Dave.

Dave,

Is it just a pull straight out? No twisting or anything else right, just pull straight out?

Thanks for help,

Although it is a straight pull with no twisting, the come off easier if you give them a little shove forward on the outer edge

of the mirror side,

Dave.

Although it is a straight pull with no twisting, the come off easier if you give them a little shove forward on the outer edge

of the mirror side,

Dave.

Thanks Dave and BMW_Rider for the tips. Not used to all this plastic on a bike that needs to be removed in order to get to things. I've ridden Cruisers most of my riding life and these plastic covers are a whole new experience.

They're not just held in place by plastic though Dave, they have metal posts attached to the fairing and a springy metal socket arrangement on the mirror housing, so you won't break anything getting them off (unless you drop it!)

Dave.

When you put them back on, coat the 3 pins with a light coat of grease. Makes them much easier to get on/off, plus they go on much more securely.

Put one hand under the mirror to catch it and whack the outside of the mirrow with the other hand. It is a little unnerving but that's how it's done.

RC

Put one hand under the mirror to catch it and whack the outside of the mirrow with the other hand. It is a little unnerving but that's how it's done.

RC

That's what I said!! :thumbsup:

Archived