IGNORED

Anyone 6' tall ride a RT in the low seat position?

ryan_a1982

Hello,

I have a '07 RT that has a custom Rick Mayer heated seat that is made to be in the lower position. The seat came on the bike when I purchased it and I think that a seat in the upper position may be better for me.

Question: Anybody out there ride with a seat in the low position that is 6' tall and enjoy it? I can stand perfectly flat footed with my knees slightly bent with the seat in this position. I have some highway pegs and it helps out on longer rides but I think I may be more comfortable with a seat in the upper positon.

I am thinking of seeing if my local dealer can loan me a stock seat that can fit in the upper position.

Or...anyone have a custom seat in the upper postion that thinks a lower one may work out better? I may be up for a temp swap to check it out.

Thanks for the input,

-Ryan

Do you mean a "low" seat or a standard seat? Your comment about borrowing a seat to try the higher position confused me. The seats are all adjustable.....

But yes, I ride a low seat in the low position and have LOTS of ground reach. I like that. However I do move my feet to the highway pegs frequently to stretch the legs. I fnd that when I move the seat to the high position, my legs are less cramped BUT when I sit higher it causes me to lean forward more to reach the bars and cramps my shoulders/neck, which has been a riding issue for me on other bikes (i.e. FJR). Seems like there's always a trade-off...

Like Bob, I'm also a bit confused in that the seats are adjustable.

If your problem is that you like the reach to the ground in the seats low position but not to the pegs, then a peg lowering kit could be your answer.

71 inches. I have an RDL saddle with suburban machinery peg lowerers and ride with the saddle in the low position, but I like that because the RDL wings increase the reach to the ground for me. Long trips, I put the seat in the higher position.

Chris

Sorry about the confusion guys, I put the seat bar in the upper position so I could raise my seat, and the seat didn't fit. Since it is a aftermarket seat I think it was made to be in the low position only.

Like Bob I also like being able to be flat footed and use the highway pegs a bit. the most I have put on it in a day so far is 370 miles and it felt pretty good.

I'll just stop worrying about it.

-Ryan

Rick Mayer uses standare OEM seat pans so it should fit in either position. I have a RM on my 07 and it works great in either position. My knees like it in the high position even though I am on my toes when stopped.

Sorry about the confusion guys, I put the seat bar in the upper position so I could raise my seat, and the seat didn't fit. Since it is a aftermarket seat I think it was made to be in the low position only.

Like Bob I also like being able to be flat footed and use the highway pegs a bit. the most I have put on it in a day so far is 370 miles and it felt pretty good.

I'll just stop worrying about it.

-Ryan

And you plainly stated it was a Rick Mayer and I wasn't paying attention--shame on me! :dopeslap: Maybe call Rick Mayer and he can help you figure out how to try it in the high position.

Bill, Thanks!

I have plans to get there. I don't think Christine is going to make it, I think she was slightly discouraged with needing to be there at 8 am. ;) I am looking forward to a nice AM ride. I think I am going to get a Olympia AST if they have one in Hi-Viz at A & S.

-Ryan

I have the "low Sargent" seat that came with my bike. I liked that I could easily flat foot the bike and I added Suburban peg lowering kit which helped with the knee issues. As I was more comfortable with the bike I realized that I really should be riding with the seat in a higher position. The Sargent is not stable and will rock at the higher settings. I purchased an aftermarket seat that was posted in the Classified section. I liked the height just not this seat so I am still riding the Sargent and letting it rock while I decide what to do.

Ryan,

I am 6'-0" and have a '07 R1200RT with RM saddle. I find the low position more useful for short trips and the high position more knee friendly for longer trips although, in the high position, I cannot flat foot at stops.

I'm just shy of 6' and, more relevantly, have a 32" inseam. I use my Russell seat in the standard (lower) position in combination with a Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit. This setup allows me to flat foot the bike, even with the ESA in the 2-Up setting, while still providing a comfortable angle for my legs.

Bill, Thanks!

I have plans to get there. I don't think Christine is going to make it, I think she was slightly discouraged with needing to be there at 8 am. ;) I am looking forward to a nice AM ride. I think I am going to get a Olympia AST if they have one in Hi-Viz at A & S.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I have a stock, standard seat that I replaced with the RDL. I can ship it to you and you can try it out if you want.

Also, +1 on the hi viz. Not familiar with the AST though. You may want to consider the Olympia Bushwacker. That's what I have. It'a vented mesh 3/4 jacket with a removable liner. The venting helps in the summer. The liner helps in the winter.

Archived