IGNORED

So if you were thinking about getting a track bike

Bullett

I know very little about the bike but the Ducati 1098 and 1198 are sweet looking bikes. They are some of the sexiest motorcycles I have seen and they look fast standing stil. However, if I were to actually front my own money the BMW S1000RR seems like not only the best bike to buy but, dare I say value to describe a BMW.

What would you get and why?

SV650S

They are plentiful, powerful enough to be interesting as you develop skills, adaptable enough to be competitive for club racing and plentiful already set up for the track.

As a bonus, they are cheap and almost indestructible.

A better question is why do you ask, Ms. Sharon...is there a track bike in your future? If so, may I be the first to say COOL! :)

My best advice is to go used, get something that is mechanically sound but maybe not pretty...it's a track bike, you don't want to have to worry about messing up it's looks. Also, you'll want something that has readily available and cheap to replace parts. Little things like levers, foot pegs, etc. And get some crash bars for it. Other than that, just whatever floats your boat. I like 600s...1000s seem just too much bike for most tracks. My current track bike is an old school 1990 Yamaha FZR and I love the stinkin' thing. Didn't really get the body posistion thing down till I got on that. It really makes it easy to move around on it. I tried on Russell's Honda CBR 600 and just couldn't really get it.

I've heard nothing but good things about SV650s, but I personally don't have experience on it.

Of course, I loved the Aprillia Mille R I took out at a Femmoto a few years ago, but see the first few things I said...too expensive and pretty to be a track bike (unless you have Bill Gate's money or something!). But damn could that thing get around a track........

I have chased this thought before, and decided on the Daytona 675, probably an 08 or later. But on shopping around, they are not very cheap, unless you find a broken one and fix it.

When on the track with my Tiger, I encountered several of them, and was impressed by their speed and handling.

The best piece of advice about track bikes I was ever given is this: don't take it to the track unless you're willing to see it go cartwheeling past you.

That said, the track is a blast and I highly recommend everyone have at least one bike dedicated to it. I'd suggest you find the discussion forum for your local club racing scene and see what all the middleweight riders run. Racers will know what bike is dependable and what isn't, and since its the end of the season you might even be able to pick up a fully kitted out bike for a good price.

I'm jealous. A designated track bike is a lovely thing to own. :Cool:

Have you tried using someone elese's bike? Keith Code's, for instance? That's all I know, so far.

I wouldn't poo poo the idea of getting a 250 class sportbike (e.g. Ninja 250) either. I've seen really good 250 riders eat novice supersport riders for lunch at the track.

In any case, don't go out and buy a new bike for the track. They tend to get thrashed.

Sharon, I think the first thing you gotta decide is the riding position you wish to be in while doing your track days. I have gone back and forth on this for some time. I started out using my ZRX1100 an then the Tuono. I was faster and smoother on the ZRX. No way to explain. I then decided to go to a more aggressive track bike. I could get comfortable on the R1. I don't like putting that much stress on my neck and wrists. I am back to my ZRX and just feel better on it. If ya don't mind the riding position. Any of the high pro 600s would be great...R6, CBR600, GSXR600,....

+1 on the SV650S.

I bought one a guy had set up for the track; took it back to street legal and then sold it after about 6 months.

Worst case of seller's remorse ever. I STILL wish I had that little bike and set it back up for the track!

At the track, the people that seem to have the most fun nowadays are on the Supermotards. Upright riding and from 1,000 cc's down to 400's.

650cc will do it all for ya.

Agree with the sentiments of something already dinged up and easy to replace parts on. Had two SV650's that I rode track days. One, totaled during a track day and replaced it with another. Only downside to the SV is they are marginal in the suspension department.

I agree on the SV 650, but there are a ton of 600 Hondas, Yamaha's etc. that have been converted to full race bikes that are pretty cheap, and won't hurt you if you're at a beginning stage and will progress with you. Lots of parts suppliers for them and should have lots of spares on eBay. You might check to see what brand or model have the greatest number of parts for sale.

Before I started racing, I rode an Aprilia for lots of track days and it was about bullet proof. If you want to go the 1000cc route, they're far cheaper than a Duc to buy and not as wild to ride as something like a GSXR or CBR.

Again, without knowing your experience level, the S1000rr is really good on the track but it is very fast.

Good luck.

Jim

I wouldn't poo poo the idea of getting a 250 class sportbike (e.g. Ninja 250) either. I've seen really good 250 riders eat novice supersport riders for lunch at the track.

In any case, don't go out and buy a new bike for the track. They tend to get thrashed.

I agree with Mister Tee. There was a 14 year old riding a 125CC MotoGP two stroke in the A Group two weeks. By agreement with the organization running the track school they let him on the track at the start of each session with a 15 second lead as a rabbit. The lads father would yell at him "GO, GO, GO!" at the start of each session. I thought there was no way he could outrun my CBR1000RR but that is exactly what he did. No one in the A Group could catch him including the AFM racers.

Small bikes are more fun to ride than liter bikes. They corner faster, are super easy to turn and flick around and you don't have to brake much.

Todd

I use an Aprilia RS 250. In the US, these are already set up as track bikes as there were no legal road going versions sent to the US. Most come really well kitted out and there are a few on www.ebay.com at the moment which I'd buy.

Spares are available from www.af1racing.com and are reasonably priced.

The two stroke thrill in the powerband is just wonderful.

Linz :)

I use an Aprilia RS 250. In the US, these are already set up as track bikes as there were no legal road going versions sent to the US. Most come really well kitted out and there are a few on www.ebay.com at the moment which I'd buy.

Spares are available from www.af1racing.com and are reasonably priced.

The two stroke thrill in the powerband is just wonderful.

Linz :)

I have the same idea. AF1 is just down the road from me, and one of the owners is the son in law of a very good friend. You can buy the bikes brand new from them. Me? I'd need to go on a Big Fat Diet to be able to ride one.

The Japanese bikes that are likely in your zone of consideration, for the most part, have peaky engines and lack low end torque. Always fast but in some ways less fun to ride.

My 955i Triumph is easy to ride, plenty of torque, and cheap to buy.

I think a cruise through the KSL pages, especially this time of the year will almost always yield something worthy of a look see.

There is an interesting Triumph Speed Triple on there now at a great price... just sayin.

The best money I ever spent was on the 07 Tiger 1050 ($8300 with 2000+ miles). Never saw a dealer and never had a warranty claim. I plan to have another Triumph someday!

Thanks for the advice everybody. :clap:

I'm still just sort of trying to decide if I want to get something of this ilk and look at a few ads to get an idea what I might need to pay for a rashed but not trashed bike for this purpose. (I did see the ad for the Triumph, Bob. Thanks!)

A better question is why do you ask, Ms. Sharon...

Angel, check out Bullet's signature!

You go girl! :clap:

Maybe this is blasphemy but are the Nifty 50's no longer around? We followed a co-worker for two thrilling seasons watching these small machines race on scaled down tracks (usually go-cart tracks). Riders wore full leathers, knee pucks et al. The track at Batavia N.Y. actually had a banked curve steep enough that it was hard to walk up.

The skill required (never raced so maybe stepping out of line here) appeared to me to be as demanding as the bigger machines on larger tracks. The bonus for us spectators was we got to keep the racers in view at all times.

Our racer was an excellent technical rider but disadvantaged by more powerful tweaked machines. He could outride most of the pack in the twisties but always lost ground on the longer straights. Due to his power disadvantage he rarely won a race yet watching his race within a race was more exciting than watching the consistent pole winners who weren't so much betters rider but just having a bigger wallet to put a more powerful machine on the grid.

At any rate, good luck with this endeavour Bullet. Maybe Santa will leave Jan a video camera so that we can follow along. :wave: Hey, do I sense a new reason for get-to-gethers for the ST group? I can see it now, at track camp sites, between race feverish tech. days err - moments, banners and pennants flying...

What would you get and why?

First another job! You hear that sound? That the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet. Racing as a privateer is a very expensive proposition. But that said, I like the idea of the GSX650s, they are plentiful and cheap. While not as plentiful, the Buell market has never recovered so some of the 1125Rs are still in the $5-6K area with almost no miles on them. And I'm so in love with the feel of that bike and engine. :)

Archived