IGNORED

If I were to buy an urban sport bike...[Opinion Poll]

FLrider

...and my choices were an 06-08' Triumph Daytona 675 or an 09' Ducati 696

Which won would you buy? Why?

(Assuming both were in similar condition, age appropriate miles etc.,)

I am thinking about buying one of these two bikes as an "around town", bike night, bike.

I can get into either for under $8,000.

I really like the BMW 1000RR but don't want to spend that much for a second bike. Besides, I would prefer something with a little less HP.

Urban sports bike, meaning it isn't going to leave town often?

In that case, I'd probably look at either the Triumph Street Triple or better yet (IMO) the Triumph Speed Triple. It depends on what size you are. To me, the Street Triple feels like a bicycle.

For urban riding, the more upright seating position gives better control at the bars and less weight on the wrists.

Linz :)

...and my choices were an 06-08' Triumph Daytona 675 or an 09' Ducati 696

If I did a little research, I might change my mind, but in the spirit of throwing out a totally superficial and ignorant opinion, given the two choices, I'd go with the Ducati.

My preferences for a cool-looking "around-town" street bike would be to keep it naked, simple and aggressive looking. The Triumph's just got a bit too much molded plastic for my tastes.

Most of my urban riding is in Portland. Twisties in the west hills, Syline Rd., alley sweeping through grassy, muddy or gravel alleys in the neighborhoods and strafing through busses and other traffic downtown. I seldom get over 70 mph.

My DRZ400s excels at this kind of riding but I suppose it is a lot different in most cities.

At any rate I just wondered if you considered a supermotard/dualsport instead of a sportbike?

I would consider an Aprilia Shiver too.

It's been around a couple years, has great power, looks similar to the Duc and is cheaper to buy and maintain.

If you want to stay in BMW, the R1200R is reasonably priced on the used market and the best kept secret of BMW that they do not market. I absolutely love mine for blasting around the city in traffic. Powerful, very nimble, and very easy to work on. It also gets 40-60 mpg depending on wrist control ! It also can mount the RT luggage if you need to carry stuff or go on an extended run to the ends of the earth ! I can easily give crotch rockets a lot of grief in twisties too :thumbsup:

If you want to keep it in the family, you might consider the F800ST. Cheap, comfortable, low maintenance, fun to ride, saddle bags for carrying crap, 0 to 70 in 3rd gear.

And it can do just fine on the curves, as my rear tire will attest:

DSCN0153.JPG

russell_bynum
Tuono, Tuono, Tuono, Tuono.

All else pales in comparison, especially if you can find a "Factory".

What Ed said.

The only other thing I'd consider is a 1050 Speed Triple.

+1 fOR tHE Street/Speed Triple - you will L O V E that mill.!...in either flavor.! Once you've been on a triple scoot, well - test ride one and you too will be hooked.

Also a used KTM Super Duke would be a short list item.

Tuono, yup yup yup

Phil – I had not considered the F800 R and will. Save me money in branded apparel costs : )

Linz – That’s correct. Won’t be leaving the city. Since I won’t be going on any long trips, not too concerned about weight on wrists.

Essman – No twisties in my town and at 53, don’t plan on jumping any curbs. Supermotard or Hypermotard are out. Thanks though.

Thylacine – “The Triumph's (Daytona) just got a bit too much molded plastic for my tastes.” - You are right about that…Hmm. Maybe too much for me as well.

Matt – I’d like to stick with a more mainstay brand. I think, and this is just a WAG, that, at resale, the Aprila might be tougher to sell than say, the Triumph or Ducati. Same thing with Hannabone’s suggestion.

The Speed Triple seems to be a popular choice. I guess I need to take a close look at the 675. The 1050 is just a little too much bike for around town for me.

I really am surprised that there were as few votes for the Ducati. Why is that do you think?

You might be surprised at what happens to you when you get on a motard. I bought a DR650 two years ago as a hot weather/urban bike and when I ride it, I feel like I'm 20 again. I want to go downtown, jump curbs and find some cops to chase me. Dirt roads that I'm reluctant to ride the R1100RT on now call my name, along with every access road and power line path. If it's not marked, I figure why not see where it goes? And nothing beats a thumper for getting off the line at stop lights.

Check out a DRZ400SM or a KTM 690. You might be surprised how well a light, single cylinder machine can wake up the little kid in you that first got you into riding. It certainly did in my case.

If you want to ride circles around every squid in town get a Motard.

If you want to hang out at Starby's and be the object of much admiration, get the Duc. and all the brand specific riding gear, you'll fit right in with the predominate crowd.

Matt – I’d like to stick with a more mainstay brand. I think, and this is just a WAG, that, at resale, the Aprila might be tougher to sell than say, the Triumph or Ducati. Same thing with Hannabone’s suggestion.

Then you should look for a couple year old SV650. Mainstream as you can get, bulletproof and cheap.

Unless you are just looking for someone to validate your Duc lust.

CoarsegoldKid

I bought a Ducati S2R1K for assaulting the backroads and it is fine for that task. For urban, bike night, show off the engine parts you will have a hard time finding anything more eye catching than a Ducati.

IMG_0197.JPG

How about a Buell XB9 or XB12? American made bargain basement orphan with a sexy sounding engine. Service and parts at any HD dealer. How's that Ducati service?

How's that Ducati service?

Same dealer that sells the BMW sells the Duc. Been happy with the service on the BMW so far...

So, I've been looking at the F bikes. Was checking out the pics on the BMOA F series photo thread.

Kinda growing on me. But, I must admit I don't know anything about variations in models.

Obviously I know that the 800ST is a smaller engine version of mine.

But, I saw pics of an F650 gs, F800s, etc.,. I'm getting confused.

What's the primary difference between the gs and s? Is the 650 and 800 the same engine size?

Again, if I have absolutely no intention of going "off road", should I be looking at the g, s, r ? Don't want a mini 1200 rt.

I prefer lower to the ground. The GS I sat on seemed kinda tall..

A short rundown on the various BMW Fxxx models.

F650GS, F800GS, F800R, F800S and F800ST all basically have the same engine, but in slightly different states of tune.

F650GS, F800GS and F800R have chain drive, the S and ST have belt drive.

The S and ST have more plastic than the other 3.

The F800GS is taller than the others, and has wire wheels. The others have alloy wheels. The F650GS is available in a low version. The F650GS and F800GS both have the option of a low seat or a standard seat. The F650GS is happy with lower octane fuel than the F800GS. It produces more torque at lower revs, but slightly less power at the upper end.

IMHO the F650GS and F800R would be the best of the 5 as urban sports bikes. My preference is the GS, mainly because of the upright riding position compared to the forward-leaning riding position of the R. But for rides of half an hour or less I could live with the R. For the GS for urban use I would recommend a front sprocket with one tooth less than standard. This makes its gearing similar to the F800GS, and gives better acceleration.

From what I've seen and sat on the Duc 696 it's a very small bike, with fairly poor steering lock. At least compared to the BMW F-bikes. I have no experience of the Triumph.

Went to the dealer today to check out the street triple. Saw a white one with blue. It wasn't the R series which apparently has bigger brakes and an adjustable suspension. It was beautiful and felt right. Good positioning. Controls easy to get to BUT, it's out.

Even though some might say they don't like ABS, I really do. Having ridden for years without ABS and a year or so with, and having practiced emergency braking with ABS, I can say I will never own another street bike without ABS.

Additionally, I am concerned about getting confused in an emergency situation.If I am accustomed to ABS on the RT and then need to emergency brake on the Triumph, I'm afraid I make not execute properly, just when I need to.

So, now it's the Duc, the F65O or 800R unless something off the wall catches my attention. I know Matt's argument for the Zuke is a valid one and I'm not knock'n Japanese bikes, I just can't do it.

German was a stretch, Italian is the outer limits of my foreign venture.

russell_bynum

Additionally, I am concerned about getting confused in an emergency situation.If I am accustomed to ABS on the RT and then need to emergency brake on the Triumph, I'm afraid I make not execute properly, just when I need to.

A classic example of why it is a good idea to learn how to use brakes on A motorcycle rather than learning how to use the brakes on a specific motorcycle.

I got no dog in this hunt but I just spent several days in Brooklyn and some time in Manhattan. Old Hondas, 400s-750s, with clip-on bars, are the standard, ratty or not. Lots of old Triumps in one part of Broooklyn for some reason, with the riders dressed like it's 1965.

A classic example of why it is a good idea to learn how to use brakes on A motorcycle rather than learning how to use the brakes on a specific motorcycle.

It's not that I don't know how to use brakes on a non abs bike. For years I rode a bike with a single, rear drum. Yellow lights were always a crap shoot :grin: . It's just that ABS are applied much differently.

In a hot moment, I just may forget which bike I'm on and make a mistake.

Do you own more than 1 car? Have you ever reached for a button that was actually on the other car?

Making that mistake on a bike can be deadly.

CoarsegoldKid

I ride a bike with ABS which is a first for me after uninterrupted riding since 1965. My S2R1K is without ABS. I have no problem applying the brakes HARD on either one. I have problems with the turn signal switches. Otherwise I ride them like they were motorcycles. You will adapt.

russell_bynum
It's just that ABS are applied much differently.

The laws of physics don't know if you have ABS or not. ABS jumps in and covers for if you screw up and brake too hard or too abruptly, but good braking technique is good braking technique...ABS or not.

Do you own more than 1 car? Have you ever reached for a button that was actually on the other car?

No, but I don't use the horn in emergency situations. When I do use it, I've got plenty of time to remember where it is.

I do, however, find myself stepping on the non-existent clutch pedal and absentmindedly reaching for the gear shift when I'm decelerating in my truck...which has an auto trans. :dopeslap:

FWIW, I'm not knocking your decision to limit your search to bikes with ABS. It's a good tool to have at your disposal. But you don't (or at least...you shouldn't) ride an ABS bike and different than a non-ABS bike.

.... good braking technique is good braking technique...ABS or not.

It's a good tool to have at your disposal. But you don't (or at least...you shouldn't) ride an ABS bike any different than a non-ABS bike.

That's a valid argument. You're right. I guess I've become a little lazy and have become a little reliant on the machine to do my work for me.... :(

...however, there are a lot of things I "shouldn't" do that I do do. :grin:

How about a VROD? I see you have lots of experience with HD's and that model has an ABS option.

Actually, not a bad choice. Never occurred to me. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that the bike will leave the city some time. The Suzuki vstrom 650 abs is probably one of the most underated bikes around. I don't own one but my friend has one and it never ceases to amaze me. Highway, dirt, gravel, city, it handles everything. Gets great fuel mileage, good wind protection and luggage space. I have a K1200Lt and a R1200RT and the vstrom keeps right up on the highways and leaves me behind on rough roads.

The Duc will kill you on insurance.

My Ducati is cheaper to insure than my BMW. It has no tupperware.

Interesting. When I got a quote on a little Monster Progressive gave me a pretty big price. I asked why and the rep told me something like 80% of Ducati claims are totals. I have two BMWs, a Yamaha, and a Buell 1125R insured and the Buell is almost 50% of my insurance bill.

Archived