IGNORED

Ahh, Teenagers...

Rockrib

So, would you rather hear about my getting rear-ended in traffic or the really weird thing that happened when I picked up my bike from the shop?

Let's start with the 17 year old driving his mom's pick-up. Which is why I've posted in 'Ride Well'.

"When you come to a stop your foot should be on the rear brake. Your hand should be on the clutch and your bike should be in first gear." So said MSF. Good advise. Kinda' saved my ass.

Had I been watching my rear view, perhaps I would have gotten off the clutch a little faster. But the sound of screeching tires behind you is REALLY motivating. I was able to get about a car length away before he hit me. It made all the difference. His excuse: "I couldn't see you. My windshield was fogged up."

So I got hit. S.O.B. broke my tail light. And tore up my rear tire.

Kid lost his license. (That's the way it works in NH)

Now the weird thing. About a mile away from the dealership I got a violent shudder from the front end.

I turned around and rode back to the shop (in first gear) to find that one or more of the belts in my Michelin had snapped. Leaving me with a 10 inch 'divot' in my front tire.

So: bike in gear, hand on clutch. And tires can fail, be ready for anything. Ride Well.

CoarsegoldKid

Good lesson. Glad you can write about it. I wonder why the rear brake should always be covered per MSF. I have learned to keep an eye on the rear view.

Quite a knock transferred to the front tire.

Rear brake does not have to be covered per MSF........In the first day of the basic course they stress to cover the clutch for newbie riders.

On stops MSF wants the left food down first then the right foot. They want both feet on the ground to stabilize the motorcycle on stops.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Glad you're ok. That could have come out much worse. I'd be really pissed about the tire. Glad I'm not messed up but, still pissed. On the bright side, most of those types of failures should occur in the infant tire stage. If the tire can withstand the initial stresses from mounting and early riding, they should be ok.....should.

Just a preference but, I rarely keep the right on the brake as it is on the ground. The left is on the peg so that I can kick it in gear and go if needed. Clutch is covered but, bike is in neutral. Distractions happen and one can let go of the clutch causing issues there if it is in gear. I've usually planned potential escape routes as I've come to a stop at lights also.

However, stop signs are different.

CoarsegoldKid

Just a preference but, I rarely keep the right on the brake as it is on the ground. The left is on the peg so that I can kick it in gear and go if needed. Clutch is covered but, bike is in neutral.

This thread is taking a slight turn but instructional none the less. I maintain the trans in first gear at stop lights because sometimes a bike trans does not go into gear fast enough at idle for a an escape velocity. If the clutch is engaged because of a distraction the engine just dies. I don't have a brake on unless I'm on an incline. And I see no need for both feet on the ground. Perhaps bike model, and many years experience tells me what to do for each case.

Glad you nearly escaped. That's a very scary scenario.

I too keep it in 1st gear at stop signs and lights. Also, I always try stop so that I have room to scoot out of harm's way if necessary.

When I'm stopped and see a car approaching from behind I usually release the brake lever and then squeeze it again to reactivate the hyperlight flashing sequence.

When I'm stopped and see a car approaching from behind I usually release the brake lever and then squeeze it again to reactivate the hyperlight flashing sequence.

+1

Back when I had the BRIGHT RED GOLDWING, I figured that I was pretty safe, as we were stopped and I was the head of the left turn lane with about 10 cars behind us. Foolish. When the right lane moved, the very young driver behind me hit the gas in the left lane and hit me (have you seen the rear end of a 1500 Red Goldwing?). She claimed she did not see me. Luckily, that beast was so darn heavy (alias the Land Pig), I at first thought I had stalled the bike somehow. No real damage, but since she was a local and I not, she got off with nothing. Of course, that plus two more deployments and I really do think everyone is out to kill me.

Right, so, I could be wrong (but I don';t think so) about MSF teaching 'foot on the brake'. It may have been 'Proficient Motorcycling' or some random stranger or maybe it came to me in a dream. But the idea was to keep your right hand on the throttle, ready to go, and your foot on the brake to keep the brake light lit. Anyway it's going to be my habit.

But what's really wormed it's way into my brain is the tire failure. What if I'd been going 85 instead of 35? Is that when you just thank God for good helmets and body armor?

Archived