IGNORED

Headlight Adjustment

srrider

Getting ready to check the "beam throw" as BMW calls it in the CD manual of my headlights because they seem way high, but it fails to mention if it is checked on low or hight beam. I assume it is low beam, but would like verification. Anyone know for sure? Many thanks in advance.

srrider

CoarsegoldKid

If you mean check the height of the light pattern with the headlamp switched to low beam you are correct. Good F'n luck if you get it right.

Or you can wait until a cold day in hell when BMW will put an adjuster on this touring bike that you can actually adjust without getting off the bike for all weighted conditions you may encounter.

If you mean check the height of the light pattern with the headlamp switched to low beam you are correct. Good F'n luck if you get it right.

Or you can wait until a cold day in hell when BMW will put an adjuster on this touring bike that you can actually adjust without getting off the bike for all weighted conditions you may encounter.

I agree. The hexhead headlight adjustment is a major PITA. I use a 1/4" drive socket with an approx. 6" extension, with I think it is a 10mm socket. I was able to adjust it while sitting on it(after I accidentally adjusted the side to side adjuster)

The new camhead RT has a knob adjuster(like Honda touring bikes) on the dash. What a concept!

In response to:

Poster: Dave_C

Subject: Re: Headlight Adjustment

Originally Posted By: CoarsegoldKid

I agree. The hexhead headlight adjustment is a major PITA. I use a 1/4" drive socket with an approx. 6" extension, with I think it is a 10mm socket. I was able to adjust it while sitting on it(after I accidentally adjusted the side to side adjuster)

The new camhead RT has a knob adjuster(like Honda touring bikes) on the dash. What a concept!

My 03 Goldwing had an adjustment knob on the dash. It didn't matter how much you turned it , you couldn't notice any difference.

Now, now, Joe, you didn't have much trouble adjusting yours, AFTER you'd FREAKING FOLLOWED ME 2000 MILES THROUGH MEXICO BLINDING ME!!!!! I believe what we did to get Joe's throw better was line his bike and mine up next to each other in the garage, and adjusted his beam to match mine using a nifty little wrench thingie he found at Harbor Freight:

http://tinyurl.com/2g8a6vx

Seems like I read somewhere that the plastic wrench to remove the oil filler cap also works to adjust the headlight! Maybe I dreamed this, never tried it.

Steve

I believe what we did to get Joe's throw better was line his bike and mine up next to each other in the garage, and adjusted his beam to match mine using a nifty little wrench thingie he found at Harbor Freight:

CoarsegoldKid

Now, now, Joe, you didn't have much trouble adjusting yours, AFTER you'd FREAKING FOLLOWED ME 2000 MILES THROUGH MEXICO BLINDING ME!!!!! I believe what we did to get Joe's throw better was line his bike and mine up next to each other in the garage, and adjusted his beam to match mine using a nifty little wrench thingie he found at Harbor Freight:

Stop whining we didn't ride at night much. :rofl:

I know it was bright. You lit up pretty good.

Okay so we did what Mark said but we never tested it. After loading the bike up with luggage and passenger and messing with the lever the beam still seemed a tad high. Truth be told only a few passing vehicles ever flashed me before or after our adjusting session.

Archived