IGNORED

S1000RR and beta testing

Paul Mihalka

This is inspired by all the beta testing blah-blah in the K1600 thread. Looks like in the S1000RR BMW got it right. Except for the early recall to limit new bike rpm to 9.000 to protect it from some crazies, the bike has been without recalls and I have not seen, read, or heard any tendency of any defect. For a completely brand new model, looks like BMW got it right.

It's a start....

Unfortunately, BMWs recent history makes this the exception. When it becomes the norm, the Beta testers (aka customers) will be much happier!!!

russell_bynum
This is inspired by all the beta testing blah-blah in the K1600 thread. Looks like in the S1000RR BMW got it right. Except for the early recall to limit new bike rpm to 9.000 to protect it from some crazies, the bike has been without recalls and I have not seen, read, or heard any tendency of any defect. For a completely brand new model, looks like BMW got it right.

Ya, it really looks like they knocked this one out of the park.

Their recent track record isn't all that great, though. If, for some reason, I thought I wanted a K1600GT, I'd wait 2-3 years to see how things go. Then buy a lightly used one with a bunch of farkles and no miles for a fraction of the price of a new one.

"Then buy a lightly used one with a bunch of farkles and no miles for a fraction of the price of a new one."

Thank heaven not everybody thinks like this. If they would, there would be no new bike dealers, no new bikes sold, and the only bike business would be fixing and reselling stuff that gets older and older.

It happened before. BMW stopped making the R100RS in 1984. All the BMW oldtimers were complaining that there is no new RS. So BMW brought it back in 1988, updated. It did not sell at all. All the oldtimers were waiting for somebody to buy it first, so they can grab one cheap. Yes, the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider... :grin:

Oh hey lookie over there!!!! It's a flower!!!

Wow, one flower in a pile of garbage does not a flower bed make.

BOOOOOOOOO!

BOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe, but in Phil's case understandable...

"Then buy a lightly used one with a bunch of farkles and no miles for a fraction of the price of a new one."

Thank heaven not everybody thinks like this. If they would, there would be no new bike dealers, no new bikes sold, and the only bike business would be fixing and reselling stuff that gets older and older.

It happened before. BMW stopped making the R100RS in 1984. All the BMW oldtimers were complaining that there is no new RS. So BMW brought it back in 1988, updated. It did not sell at all. All the oldtimers were waiting for somebody to buy it first, so they can grab one cheap. Yes, the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider... :grin:

Bitch

Moan

Whine

Time passes, this never changes. :wave:

MB>

russell_bynum

I think there will always be fools willing to pay full retail for new bikes, throw a bunch of money into farkles they don't need and won't use, and then sell it a couple of years later because they've got money burning a hole in their pocket again and this year's bike has some new feature that they don't understand and/or can't use.

As for your R100RS example...if BMW failed to do their market research to understand that the only people who will buy them are people who won't buy them new, that's their fault.

I am taking my RR into the dealership for the first time since I had the 600 mile service done 6 months ago. It's only going in for a "recall", which is actually a small upgrade (drop sensor installed gratis). I've been trying to think of anything else that needs attention while I am at the shop, but nothing comes to mind. I picked mine up early before BMW imposed the rev limiter, which I think was 7k rpms.

The bike runs as advertised, is awesome to ride, and I've never had so much as a false neutral - it has met or exceeded my expectations in every way. Very reasonably priced, too, especially considering the three year warranty.

The K1600x looks like another winner for BMW, and I am eager to get a demo ride on one.

DSCN1441.JPG

I think there will always be fools willing to pay full retail for new bikes, throw a bunch of money into farkles they don't need and won't use, and then sell it a couple of years later because they've got money burning a hole in their pocket again and this year's bike has some new feature that they don't understand and/or can't use.

Hey ! I resemble that remark :D

In all fairness however, I will say that before buying my new, off the showroom floor bike, I did try to buy one used.

And you know what I discovered?

...That BMW owners, who meticulously maintain their bike and who are so proud of their "low" mileage, want almost as much as what you can buy a bike for brand new, with just a little negotiating skill.

Sellers seem to think that all that care and hard work should entitle them to some high retail number they saw in some blue/orange book or something. :eek:

I don't think so.

Yes, you might get a few farkles but, one's mans farkles are another man's PIA.

Call me a fool, but I buy new because I can and I don't think I need to apologize for it....

russell_bynum

In all fairness however, I will say that before buying my new, off the showroom floor bike, I did try to buy one used.

And you know what I discovered?

...That BMW owners, who meticulously maintain their bike and who are so proud of their "low" mileage, want almost as much as what you can buy a bike for brand new, with just a little negotiating skill.

You didn't look hard enough.

Call me a fool, but I buy new because I can and I don't think I need to apologize for it....

No need to apologize. It's your money and you can spend it how you want.

Besides...I wasn't calling people who buy new "Fools". I was referring to people who buy new, throw a bunch of money at their bike, don't ride it, and then sell it for a huge loss a few years later because the new model has an extra 50cc or an automatic electric butt wiper instead of the manual electric butt wiper that their bike has.

Joe Frickin' Friday
...or an automatic electric butt wiper instead of the manual electric butt wiper...

The older I get, the more I think I would appreciate some automation in this area...

...or an automatic electric butt wiper instead of the manual electric butt wiper...

The older I get, the more I think I would appreciate some automation in this area...

Mojo wiper?????

russell_bynum

Mojo wiper?????

Yeah, but let's hope Mitch doesn't do his usual...um...anal retentive job of documenting the entire development and production process and posting pics here. I just got a mental image of the wiper test lab that he would construct in his spare bedroom.....row after row of prosthetic asses with dozens of different iterations of the robot wiper arm doing performance benchmark and Mean Time Before Failure testing.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

:grin:

I think it is too early to tell about long term reliability of the S1000RR and I agree with you Phil. I have had serious problems with three out of four BMW's and I doubt I am going to go back to BMW.

On the other hand my 2008 Honda CBR1000RR has been completely trouble free with no annoying "They all do that quirks". In fact there is not a single thing about the bike that is annoying. I even managed to spank a S1000RR at Thunderhill in the A Group two weeks ago passing a guy on the outside going into turn 4. Hee, hee.

Todd

I even managed to spank a S1000RR at Thunderhill in the A Group two weeks ago passing a guy on the outside going into turn 4. Hee, hee. Todd

Fun , yes, but difinitive, no.

Roger DeCoster would have had no problems spanking me on a motocross track if he was mounted on an XR80, and me on my KTM 250. It's all about the rider.

Reading this thread scares me a little, since I am a new RT owner. At least I got a 07 with only 3,100 miles and the only farkle I wanted to add were highway pegs. I sure hope the thing lasts a few more years before I start to 'Bitch Moan and Whine' (I like that by the way)

-Ryan

I think it is too early to tell about long term reliability of the S1000RR and I agree with you Phil.

+1, not only has it not been out that long but its proabbly not likely to see the milleage build of of a sport touring bike. However, the lack of issues to date is a good sign for BMW becasue I am sure they are getting some abuse, despite possible fewer miles.

Archived